Most Beloved Hen... Egg Bound? PLEASE view!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepsNick, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    My BR, Pepper, has been showing some symptoms lately that would make me guess this... And she now has a case of small "poopy butt" and I noticed a small patch of feathers near her rear missing.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Barred Rock, 9 months old, weight normal
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. normal.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? one day. in fact, last night I checked her for disease/injury and all was fine.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no, not as far as I know...
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no, but I found this one small blob of poop that looked EXACTLY like strawberry jelly... blood?
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. well, we ran out of feed the day before Christmas and the feed store is closed, so until tomorrow they've been only eating grit, corn and table scraps
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. grit from free ranging, non buttered or salted table scraps and corn on the cob.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. runny and one small glob that looked EXACTLY like strawberry jelly.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? either one.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. nope, sorry...
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use mulch.

Thank you, and ANY, I mean ANY help or knowledge is appreciated!

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    what symptoms exactly is she showing that makes you think this? reading your post i only see the strawberry jelly blob concern? could that not be caused by somethings shes eaten, has she had any red coloured table scraps? feather loss could be molting or feather picking by another hen?

when was the last time she laid an egg? can you feel anything hard in her abdomen area that could be a egg? (feel between her legs a bit higher up..)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Last night was the last time she laid. The poop is runny, also and stuck to her butt- not normal for her. Can't feel anything hard. Her bald stop doesn't even have signs of feathers ever being there. [​IMG] And nope, no red table scraps...? For safety, I'll go ahead and separate her.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The strawberry poop is normal, then. But the runny poop looks like the first one under caecal. Once they get their feed back tomorrow, hopefully it will be back to normal.

I got some pictures of Pepper, separate from the others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The third pic kind of makes her look like a roo, but I'm sure she's not.

edited to add information

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Caecal are normal also - many times they smell something awful also [​IMG] but again are normal in all chickens.

If she was my girl, I would not take her from the others, I do not think she has anything wrong with her. Change in diet always changes what comes out. I had a heart attack just about, one time after feeding our African Grays some blueberries - their poo was incredibly BLUE. [​IMG]

You are a good chicken lover [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Cecal poop or intestinal shedding is what it sounds like. All normal occurances.

8. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Caecal are normal also - many times they smell something awful also [​IMG] but again are normal in all chickens.

If she was my girl, I would not take her from the others, I do not think she has anything wrong with her. Change in diet always changes what comes out. I had a heart attack just about, one time after feeding our African Grays some blueberries - their poo was incredibly BLUE. [​IMG]

You are a good chicken lover [​IMG]

Mines' poop is ALWAYS blue after they eat their yummy blueberries!

I think that just for safety I'll keep her in there through the night, and put her back in tomorrow morning if everything's okay. Thanks for your nice comment- I've dealt with many diseases and such before, so I'm always really alert about everything different that happens in the coop. Thanks so much for your help. She's our family's favorite.

edited for typos

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Only problem with keeping her out is you can upset the pecking order and cause her more problems from that. Although it may not be and issue in your case. I just have one that had a hard time being accepted and I know if she came out for any time it likely would start over with the picking.
    sharon

10. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Even for one day? I guess I'll go put her in with the rest of flock, considering she's doing fine and is laying. I'll stick her back in after she gives me that egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by