Most broody breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 29, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I've been having awful luck with incubating, but I was thinking that maybe I could get a flock of little broody breeds. I know about silkies, but would they be the most "efficient" broody hens? Which breed would eat the least? and be the most broody?

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Game breeds are excellent and the Naked Necks are excellent broodies too.

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I have a designer pullet who is broody and setting on 10 eggs - not sure all will hatch as I tried to break her the first 2 nights and the next morning back to the nest where her eggs were she would go. I added 5 eggs for her to set on and she is just as happy as she can be on her nest in the bathtub. She is a brahma cross. The fun part will be that I have a mixed flock and so I don't know what colors the babies will be.

18 days and counting! [​IMG]

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Silkies are good i hear, Buff orpingtons are Broody machines i hear,, Any Game hens (American game. Old english game. etc).. Are broody machines AND great mothers.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Cochins are great brooders and have the extra bonus of being very large and fluffy (can fit more eggs underneath).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by