Most Broody: Cochins or Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ndemerly, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    I'm looking for an 'incubator bird' because I am so nervous about buying one and having something go wrong and loose the eggs. Which breed would you say is most likely to go 'broody'?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    probably silkies. Cochin are very good too
    either one should do the job well!
    good luck
    punky

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Silkies may go broody more often, but I think cochins make better moms if the chicks are free-ranging. Silkies can't see well enough, IMO. Evrybody should have a cochin (or ten) in thier flock. Super sweet girls [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i only have one cochin and she has never raised babies - not for lack of wanting. My Showgirls have been the best moms of all in my flock. Their crests aren't as large as my Silkies, so they can see well enough to peck the beejesus out of anyone messing with their kids. [​IMG]

5. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    My cochin is CONSTANTLY broody... she's sweet, I just wish they didn't go broody! uhhhhhh.....

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] X2

Actually, I am considering putting a cochin hen with a silkie rooster just to raise some "incubators" to get the best of both worlds.

7. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    My Silkies are broody left and right. I don't let them hatch. If I move them, they won't sit on the eggs. If I leave eggs in there I will have all the girls in one pile (sometimes on top of eachother) and them bickering about who gets the eggs and I end up with broken eggs. I hatch in bator and give everyone a baby or two.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I've seen where Chris09 and a few others have said that American Game hens are some of the best broodies you can get. I had two silkie hens for a while that I got for broodies and neither of them ever when broody, nor have the two cochin hens that I have now. I do have a Silkie mixed hen that broods sometimes but my most frequent broodies are my two Buff ducks. They have set up to 4 times a season before. But I am thinking about trying some Game hens, my grandfather had game chickens running his yard when I was younger and they were always hatching chicks and made better protective mothers.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I had Silkies and Cochin and neither would out brood a American Game Hen.
    They are a hatching machine with a mothering instinct like no other. I don't know very many hens that will /can hatch out 15 chicks in February with a foot of snow on the ground and the temps in the teens and not loose a chick. I had 2 American Game Hens do this about 2 years ago wile free ranging.

Chris

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I've got 4 cochin hens, I hope at least ONE goes broody this spring! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by