most common chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magnolia-1971, Mar 9, 2012.

1. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I am going to be picking up chicks this coming Friday [​IMG] and I can't wait. My husband and I were talking. He asked how many chicks are we getting [​IMG]. I had been planning on 5, 2 Faverolle Bantam pullets and 3 regular size Easter Eggers. He just informed me that we should get 6 [​IMG]. I can't believe it [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].
    So... what are the most common chicks feed stores get. I am trying to decide what kind number 6 should be.

Thanks

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Here in California, the most common breeds are:
    Barred Rock (Plymouth Rock - Barred)
    Buff Orpington
    Delaware
    Black Australorp
    Black Jersey Giant
    Brown Leghorn
    Rhode Island Red
    Black sex-links
    Red sex-links

My favorite feed store also carries
    Light Brahma
    Welsummer
    Easter Egger (generally labeled as Amereaucana)
    Cuckoo Marans
    Jungle Fowl
    Cornish X (the meat birds)

And a variety of bantam breeds, such as Golden and Silver Sebright, white crested black Polish, silkies, and others. They sell bantam chicks as "straight run," or not sexed.

3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Mine also has the same

4. spunkychickenmomma

spunkychickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Morris, OK
    Our local stores usually carry Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Naked Necks, Astralorps, Buff Orpingtons and all kinds of assorted banties including silkies. Oh, and Easter Eggers which are usually referred to as Ameracuanas.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. magnolia-1971

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

6. coz74

coz74 Underground chicken enabler

Aug 22, 2011
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Where are you getting your chicks? I am in SE WI also. I will be setting a bunch of eggs next weekend for an Easter hatch if you do not find what you are looking for. Hopefully in 4 weeks I have an incubator full of peeping chicks.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I live near Portland Or. There are lots of feed stores in our area that sell chicks. Urban chicken raising is huge here. If you have a little patience you can get nearly any breed. In Feb I contact many of the feed stores and get a copy of their chick schedule. I look for dates that I can get most of the breeds I am looking for within a two week period. This year I am going to get the majority of my chicks on Apr 6 from one feed store. I will likely run around to 2 or 3 other stores on Apr 7 to get a few others. Then there are a few more coming in on Apr 13 that will finish out this years flock. (I will be getting about 20 chicks this year.)

8. magnolia-1971

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Hi, I am getting my Bantam Favs from Lund Poultry by Madison on the 17th. The other 4 I am getting from Merton feed on the 16th. What kind are you hatching? That sounds so exciting [​IMG]?

It is a good Idea to ask the feed store for their chick schedule. Better than me calling and bugging them multiple times.

9. coz74

coz74 Underground chicken enabler

Aug 22, 2011
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Hopefully Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Americaunas, Polish and a few mystery eggs.

10. magnolia-1971

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    Are you going to be able to sex them? I would love a Blue laced red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by