Most efficient way to spray/dip/powder 50+ chickens with mites

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
Hello,

I've read through many of these posts about spraying or dipping or powdering birds with mites, but I'm wondering what is the best/simplest method to do a whole bunch of birds? It seems to me that it will take hours to catch and dip or powder or spray all my chickens, one at a time. I've already cleaned and sprayed all the coops, which also took hours.

Does anyone have any tips to make the process go smoother or more quickly? I have the permethrin and a sprayer (that never works quite right). I'm thinking a spray bottle might be the best option. I intend to do it at night. But any other ideas? Of course my ladies don't all roost on their roost bars. They prefer trees or the tops of their houses. So even catching them will be...fun. The mites are not too bad yet, so I want to treat them before they get bad.

Thanks for any tips,
MaryZoe

My 2 cents worth that's not worth a penny.

Sounds like you have your hands full. I have never dealt with mites, however, when I noticed alot of preening and scratching on a few new birds, I started reading. My first thoughts were
Spray coop and next day chickens

Easy to use spray bottle for birds-sprayer for coop.

Then mind went into overload!
It seemed a waste of time to spray coop (clean) tthen put mite-y birds (dirty) into coop then next day spray birds.
So clean coop dirty birds
Or
Clean birds first dirty coop.

So, I sprayed coop early a.m. and left open to air dry.
Kept dirty birds in run. Then late after birds on roost (in run) I sprayed birds. Quickly realized it would go quicker with extra pair of hands. 1 held bird, other sprayed-under wings around vent back of neck. After spray, clean bird went into coop. Next morning sprayed run while birds free ranged.
Mine are done, scratching gone happy birds.
Big hard job, but at end of days they're happy I'm happy, coops clean for summer.
Good luck!

Hello,

I've read through many of these posts about spraying or dipping or powdering birds with mites, but I'm wondering what is the best/simplest method to do a whole bunch of birds? It seems to me that it will take hours to catch and dip or powder or spray all my chickens, one at a time. I've already cleaned and sprayed all the coops, which also took hours.

Does anyone have any tips to make the process go smoother or more quickly? I have the permethrin and a sprayer (that never works quite right). I'm thinking a spray bottle might be the best option. I intend to do it at night. But any other ideas? Of course my ladies don't all roost on their roost bars. They prefer trees or the tops of their houses. So even catching them will be...fun. The mites are not too bad yet, so I want to treat them before they get bad.

Thanks for any tips,
MaryZoe
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/spray-or-dip-chickens-with-red-mites.1411696/

My 2 cents worth that's not worth a penny.

Sounds like you have your hands full. I have never dealt with mites, however, when I noticed alot of preening and scratching on a few new birds, I started reading. My first thoughts were
Spray coop and next day chickens

Easy to use spray bottle for birds-sprayer for coop.

Then mind went into overload!
It seemed a waste of time to spray coop (clean) tthen put mite-y birds (dirty) into coop then next day spray birds.
So clean coop dirty birds
Or
Clean birds first dirty coop.

So, I sprayed coop early a.m. and left open to air dry.
Kept dirty birds in run. Then late after birds on roost (in run) I sprayed birds. Quickly realized it would go quicker with extra pair of hands. 1 held bird, other sprayed-under wings around vent back of neck. After spray, clean bird went into coop. Next morning sprayed run while birds free ranged.
Mine are done, scratching gone happy birds.
Big hard job, but at end of days they're happy I'm happy, coops clean for summer.
Good luck!
Thanks. This is about what I was expecting to do. I too like to start the summer as healthy as possible. The heat and humidity in south Florida is hard on them. I appreciate your help.

We spray them at night while they are roosting, using a small flashlight, not the brighter overhead lighting. And everyone does roost in their coop; birds in trees get killed here at night!
If there's any way for you to get them all inside at night, that would be best anyway.
Wear an N95 face mask, long sleeves, jeans, and then wash everything and shower immediately after it's done.
Mary

We spray them at night while they are roosting, using a small flashlight, not the brighter overhead lighting. And everyone does roost in their coop; birds in trees get killed here at night!
If there's any way for you to get them all inside at night, that would be best anyway.
Wear an N95 face mask, long sleeves, jeans, and then wash everything and shower immediately after it's done.
Mary
Yes, we will be sure to cover up before we spray them. My birds don't get taken at night because we have 2 livestock guardian dogs that are hyper aware of everything from raccoons to hawks to owls. I've only lost one bird to a predator in the last 4-5 years. And that predator did not live long after it killed my bird. But thank you for your good ideas! :)

We've had to net birds trying to roost in the trees or on buildings, at night, and it's just not fun. Here, not having LGDs, any birds out at night are in trouble!
And mites are a royal pain; we deal with them too, from the wild birds who visit the coop when they can get into it.
Mary

We've had to net birds trying to roost in the trees or on buildings, at night, and it's just not fun. Here, not having LGDs, any birds out at night are in trouble!
And mites are a royal pain; we deal with them too, from the wild birds who visit the coop when they can get into it.
Mary
Yes, we have lots of wild birds who like to share the chicken feed. It's such a pain! Luckily my birds that roost outside at night tend to roost on a donkey feed stand, so it's not too high. I can stand on a bucket or something similar and grab them relatively easily. Haha!

Living in warm, sunny Florida, I would just mix up a bucket of solution and dunk each chicken and let them air dry.

But if you feel you need to spray them, here's a one liter pump sprayer that will ease the chore and save your trigger finger. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=one+liter+pump+sprI ay+bottle&ref=nb_sb_noss
I rather like the idea of a dunk. Of course I'm doing this at night to avoid chasing chix for hours and stressing them out in the heat. Our nights are already quite mild--maybe 70* at the coolest. I assume it will be fine for them to take a little longer to dry at night. How often would I change the water? It seems like it might get dirty rather quickly (though my hens don't look dirty...).

Back
Top Bottom