Most expensive eggs I've ever seen!

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
I was in Portland today at the farmers market and I noticed a stand selling free range eggs. I nearly fainted when I saw they were $7 per dozen! I checked to see that that were actually chicken eggs and not duck or turkey, but alas they were chicken eggs. They weren't made of chocolate and they seemed to not be made of precious metal. How on earth can a dozen eggs be $7?? I thought I was cheaky charging $3.50 a dozen!

Yeah its wild,,, but Micahel Poluans new book advocates for pastured poultry..... so its a step beyond organic.... and I think that market has very High vendor fees , and the vendors all have to drive and park in inner city Portland, a true nightmare of roads. so its gonna cost.

farm eggs on the west side of portland, are not available, every lady with a flock has a list and is not accepting new clients,
I sold my two noisy barred rocks and bought 3 golden comets and another buffy ... four weeks old.( farm store had a list of people that wanted the barreds, good layers, but noisy)

I simply have too many friends and neighbors that want eggs,,,, so I will have six layers by Oct. my friends give me cartons and pay 3-4$ a doz,, which helps with feed and scratch and boss......plus my family is addicted to fresh eggs,

It is ridiculous the prices at the farmers markets. The one at the Park Blocks last summer were selling duck eggs for $7 or $8 a dozen and chicken for $6 a dozen.

But I am sure they have to pay a huge booth fee as well as a permit to sell eggs.

I charge $2.50 for chicken eggs and $4 for duck, but you have to come get them.

WOW!
ep.gif
I'd just have to quit eating eggs if I had to pay that much for them.
lol.png
Thank heavens I have my own gold mine! (Chickens that is!)
smile.png

Last edited:
Holy cow.. One of my neighbors sells for $1.30 a dozen, another $1.50. The lady I buy from (til mine are old enough to lay) just went from $1.50 to $1.75. That's how the market is here--- I can't imagine $7.00!!!

yep. $7/dozen for downtown and think most of the outlying farmer's markets are selling for about $5/dozen.

My girls are laying yet, and luckily the neighbor down the street sells his for only $2/doz.

You can get them off of CL for around $3-4/doz.

until mine start laying.. I get them for free:)
My barn owner has a large flock and just gave me 2 dozen free range organic eggs the other day. So I cleaned her horses paddock this afternoon while i was there.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom