Most Friendly Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StarLover21, Oct 12, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok, I'm curious...whats the most freindly, affectionate breed of hen in your experience?

Thanks!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our little OEGB's are by far the friendliest of any breeds we have ever had.
    Our Black Sex-Links pull a close second.
    Of the Roosters it is by far our Delawares.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I hear that Cochins are very friendly as a breed.

Rare breed -- the Cubalaya are very, very friendly birds, and it is stated as a breed trait, but holding, picking up, talking to and petting any chicken makes them more friendly and approachable. And, my one EE is very friendly, her sister less so.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My EEs are by far my most friendly. My speckled sussex runs second place. But they're not really affectionate per se in the climb-all-over-you sense, but they run up to me and follow me whenever I'm outside. And I always end up almost stepping on the sussex. [​IMG]

5. MrsStephan

MrsStephan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Our little red sex link is the friendliest. She runs up to greet us when we drive up. She hangs out with my husband in his shop and follows me everywhere.

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Ours are friendly in different ways. The BR mixes are most comfortable being held or perching on people, the RIR mixes really talk to us, and groom us, but don't like to be petted. The SS roosters are friendly but wary. I don't know if that's a rooster thing. That's the extent of my experience [​IMG]

7. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Silkies and my light Brahma hen who just passed away last week [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As I stated in the last thread asking such -

Quote:

9. Eroicayori

Eroicayori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    My Doms are b y far the friendliest in the sense of petting and climbing on me. The BJGs are the most talkative and my BOs are just sweet. My three BO roosters are the nicest roosters you could ever meet, they follow me around as much as our dogs. My BJG rooster not so much.

-----------------------------
    3 Dominques, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 7 Buff Operingtons, 3 Blue Laced Red Wy, 2 Blue Slate and 7 Royal Palm Turkeys, 7 Guineas, 5 Goats
    2 Labs, 3 Cats, 1 Toddler and a Husband

10. Amy54

Amy54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Georiga
    My Lavendar Orpingtons hens are soo sweet just sit in u lap and sleep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by