most gentle breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by truebantams74, Sep 23, 2010.

1. truebantams74

truebantams74 New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    I have two small kids ages 4 & 5 that would love to have a few chickens as pets. I would like to know what is the most gentle breed.[​IMG] Please help me choose a breed for them.

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    check out the Australorps and the Brahmas. We have 16 chickens (7 different breeds) these two, so far, are the most kind and gentle of them all.
    but there are many, many, others that are great as well.

3. Dragonfly99

Dragonfly99 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    I love Buff Orpingtons around my kids. They are just so sweet. One of ours likes to jump up on my lap and cuddle. If I put my arm out, she'll jump right up and ride around on my shoulder. I just love them! Very gentle.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm not sure if you'd prefer more standard-sized chickens for laying purposes (though I'm guessing not based off of your username), but if raised with handling old english game bantams and seramas are both very gentle, sweet, and easy to handle. They're small, too, so they don't take up a lot of room or eat much. I'm biased, though, these two are my favorite breeds. [​IMG] Seramas can be a bit difficult to find, though, because hatcheries don't sell them and breeders are somewhat few and far between.

Other breeds that are known for being very docile and sweet are silkies, cochins, brahmas, and d'uccles. [​IMG] I think any of those five breeds would make good pets for your children.

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Delawares, Buff Orpingtons or Silkies. [​IMG]

6. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 different breeds. It seems to be that all of them are very loving but it could be because I handle and pet each one of them every time I go into the coop. Which at this time in their lives (4 weeks old) I do a lot of petting and handling. I would probably say that the Buff Orpington is the most loving and wants to be the first to sit on my lap. The Black Astralorp would be second. I have two Barred Rocks. One is very friendly and the other just a little shy. The others, a RIR, Red Sussex, Speckled Sussex, Dark Brahma and Golden Laced Wyandott are also very friendly and like to be held and pet.

7. chikincrazee

chikincrazee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Hi my son was introduced to chickens when he was 2 by his Aunt and she had Silkies....later he was given a few silkies of his own and the rooster was his play buddie he would run around playing with the bird carrying him everywhere on their numerous adventures...now he is 10 and still has his silkies....we also have nankins and they are quite small but very tame birds for children... my little nieces handle them....so heres a vote for bantams and in particular silkies and nankins:)

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A lot depends on hte individual bird. But, brahmas, silkies and modern games are at the top. My 4.5 year old granddaugher ants birds she can carry around. Her current favourite is my bantam araucana. She also adores a couple of silkie crosses that look nothing like silkies typewise and a bantam brahma cross who does have somewhat correct type. A friend's slightly younger granddaugher sleeps with her modern game pet.

My buff orps are not people friendly. Not mean or aggressive, but not sociable, either. Pretty boring, in fact.

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I think the Faverolle would be the mellowest. Sometimes too mellow to keep with other chickens, because they will take a beating from other breeds.

10. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I have two young kids and have few different breeds. All of my chickens are all gentle breeds but buff Orpingtons, cubalaya and orloffs are really gentle and they love to be held.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by