Most humane way to put a chick down?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GibsonChicks4U, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GibsonChicks4U

GibsonChicks4U Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Please respond quickly have a suffering chick, need to know best most humane way to put her down...

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i use my pruners to cut the neck off. they will twitch for a while but it is nerve and muscle twitches. they are already dead. whats wrong?

3. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I have not done it yet, but everything I read shows that cutting the neck is the fastest and most humane. The previous post sounds like a good idea.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop

I had not thought about using pruners. I would be afraid of not going all the way through quickly enough and causing pain, but am I wrong? How hard is it to cut quickly and completely? How large are your pruners? Thank you. I have to cull a mean rooster soon and I am so scared. :(

5. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Paralyzed, and she has gotten to where she won't eat or drink even with help, she is 3times the size of her broa and sis and she's the same age arrived on same day no more I can do for her and she's suffering I know. How would I do the either way

6. ChickensLoveTV

ChickensLoveTV Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2014
    Take your chicken to the vet. The vet can put it down just like he or she would a dog or cat.

7. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    How much would that cost

8. ChickensLoveTV

ChickensLoveTV Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2014
    It shouldn't be more than $10 -15, depending on the vet. But you can always call and ask.

9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have the pruners made to cut small branches. hand held, about 6-8in. long. on babies its not hard at all. you may not get a clean cut but it should kill anyway. for the bigger chickens i use my hatchet, i hold them in my arms like a baby until they go to sleep or relax the ease them to the table and chop.you can do the same for the baby, cup your hand over the head until relaxed or even asleep. i am sorry for your loss. never heard of what you are talking about. did anyone here help ? is it pooping ok? there is an illness that will paralyze them but it can pass. it is contagious.

10. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    I was thinking its mareks but everything I've read on here says that's not possible due to age and not being around adults. Bought 15 Rhode Island reds and only one is this way all the rest are healthy and 3 times the size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by