Most interesting thing with Spraddle leg Chick

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
I got a baby silkie chick from my neighbor who hatched the for me in his Sportsman. One had one Spraddle leg. I did nothing because nothing i ever did before worked. I did have a lot of babies and kept them in a small area so they were close togethe for about 5 days. He totally recovered the leg on his own. This was first for me.
I picked up some more of chicks hatched two days ago and put them in the same situation. Yesterday a blue had both legs going out and a buff had one. Tonite they are both getting around well and I see them really trying to keep their legs up under them and doing a good job at it. From the looks of it they will recover too. Glad I didn't cull this morning as I had planned.

Sound like fun!
pop.gif
Wish I had chicks.
sad.png

I had one with spraddle leg in my last hatch. My neighbor does animal rescues and asked if she could have the chick (she could have picked out of 20+ and she picks the one with the boo-boo!
lol.png
)Anyhow, Weebles (what she named her) is doing wonderful and you'd never know there had been anything wrong. She never splinted the leg either...just did some kind of chickie physical therapy! (More or less held her a lot, had her walk up and down a sweater and kept correcting the position of her leg whenever needed)

All this to say...I think it's wonderful that your baby's doing better and glad it didn't have to be culled
wink.png

Yes, I will post some pics when I move them to the brooder outside.

That's Awesome that you were able save the chick, I had a BR not long ago, but was so bad, he looked as if the legs were put on wrong, feet pointing straight foward and up, two days of flipping over backward and I had to cull

Well one of these looked like he was doing the splitz. he has regained his muscle strength and can pull them up under his now. The other one had on leg going out to the side. I am trying to remember which one it is now. Keeping them bunched so their legs get up under them must help rather than having it sticking out and not being able to get a grip to get it back in. I am glad to because I think they are blues out of my buff splash and they are very light blue so far. I will see if it is a color I can work with when they feather in. They look like they will be very typey. Large Crest already and heavy bearding and great foot feathering.

Back
Top Bottom