Most of my chickens are sneezing

axon

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
Hi, this is my first post on BYC :highfive:

I have about 30 chickens (5 chicks). Most of them are pullets. One of them is incubating her laid eggs, while 3 of the pullets are still laying eggs now.

About 40% of them sneeze, some of the pullets got clean nasal discharge with/without sneezing.

It's been like this for literally 3 months. Since I'm pretty new in this, I thought it would just go away itself but it didn't and now I have more chickens sneezing. No weird sounds from their chest while breathing. They are actively eating, drinking, and doing all the stuff as before.

It would be really helpful if someone could provide me some guidelines about what should I do now.

Thanks.

Welcome to BYC.
Check and see if it's something in their environment causing the sneezing and nasal discharge. Poultry respiratory diseases usually show more symptoms than the two that you mentioned.
Examples to look for are: Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding causing the sneezing and nasal discharge, improper ventilation, inhalation of feed dust or inhalation of dust while dust bathing, pollen from grass or trees, pesticide use, DE, excess dander, mold or fungus inside the coop.
All of these issues can be corrected and/or eliminated.

Do they sneeze all the time or just while they eat? Go watch. If they are just sneezing while they gobble their food, it may be because the feed is very dusty.

I've seen this in my flock. I usually feed fermented feed which is wet. But when I give them dry crumbles, they bury their beaks in it and some sneeze their heads off as they stuff themselves.

I agree with @dawg53 that this is likely an environmental issue or you'd be seeing sick chickens by now.

thanks for the additional info and the lovely pictures :)

I think your flock looks clean and happy and healthy, and I stick to my guess that some relatively minor respiratory illness is working its way through your flock, and most if not all will shake it off as most of us do colds. I would not start medicating and risking doing more harm than good unless things take a very definite turn for the worse.
The head shaking may be trying to clear the passages (as we blow our nose to shift phlegm) or some irritating ectoparasite; in either case again it is entirely natural behaviour.

I am thinking along the same lines as @Perris . It's a mild respiratory infection that may just need to run its course. Strong immune systems will handle it.

However, keep an eye on them for more intense symptoms and if any individuals become lethargic, I strongly suggest getting on top of it with Tylosin powder. You can order it here and have it on hand just in case things appear to take a turn. https://homelabvet.com/product/tyclosin-500-30g/

hello @axon , welcome to BYC :frow

If it's been going on for months, they're otherwise fine, and none have been killed by it, I think you can assume it's a fairly mild strain of whatever it is. Clearly infectious, it's spreading through the flock. Some will have it but be asymptomatic, and all will have been exposed to it by now. I would expect most if not all the sneezers to shake it off in due course, like humans do colds. They will build up immunity to it over time. I would carry on doing what you are doing.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys @Perris @dawg53 @azygous

I have been observing my flock from time to time. I should mention that I am free-ranging them in full of green grass every morning and in the afternoon, but the rest of the time they stay in a locked area(see below).
View attachment 2913957

No, I don't think that the food I'm providing them is very dusty. I bring them water hyacinth every day, with some additional whole wheat. You can say they sneeze 2-5 times each hour, not all of them to be clear.

Currently, I can notice nasal discharge in 2 chickens, it only comes out from one hole of their nose, I try to clean it out every day with a towel. It just makes me sad that they will keep suffering but I can't help them enough 😢
View attachment 2913956

I have been using sand as bedding, they sleep here at night. The sand is changed once a month.
View attachment 2913967

Also, another thing that I want to mention is that I noticed some of them doing a weird head shake occasionally, I did not witness this behavior a few months before. It is the most notable when my rooster does it (no sneeze/nasal discharge yet). I checked his ears and throat, couldn't find anything suspicious as per my knowledge.

Here are some pictures of my flock.

Thanks a lot to everyone trying to help me here 🙏
I read your post and I am going through the EXACT same thing with my 10 hens! I will be following to see if anyone has any advice! 💜

Thanks for all the quick responses guys @Perris @dawg53 @azygous

I have been observing my flock from time to time. I should mention that I am free-ranging them in full of green grass every morning and in the afternoon, but the rest of the time they stay in a locked area(see below).
IMG_20211126_142152_737.jpg

Do they sneeze all the time or just while they eat? Go watch. If they are just sneezing while they gobble their food, it may be because the feed is very dusty.
No, I don't think that the food I'm providing them is very dusty. I bring them water hyacinth every day, with some additional whole wheat. You can say they sneeze 2-5 times each hour, not all of them to be clear.

Currently, I can notice nasal discharge in 2 chickens, it only comes out from one hole of their nose, I try to clean it out every day with a towel. It just makes me sad that they will keep suffering but I can't help them enough 😢
IMG_20211126_145630_412.jpg

I have been using sand as bedding, they sleep here at night. The sand is changed once a month.
IMG_20211126_162432_189.jpg

Also, another thing that I want to mention is that I noticed some of them doing a weird head shake occasionally, I did not witness this behavior a few months before. It is the most notable when my rooster does it (no sneeze/nasal discharge yet). I checked his ears and throat, couldn't find anything suspicious as per my knowledge.

Here are some pictures of my flock.
IMG_20211126_124614_580.jpg
VID_20211127_163603_exported_4655.jpg
IMG_20211130_115257_548~2.jpg
VID_20211120_171009_exported_1341.jpg

Thanks a lot to everyone trying to help me here 🙏

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom