Most Of The Best Breeders Have No Need To Advertise

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cowboy_Shamblin, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Cowboy_Shamblin

Cowboy_Shamblin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Elk City
    When a breeder has a good reputation he usually gets plenty of business by word of mouth.

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Actually, a good breeder is not concerned about "the business" His/Her main concern is for improving his/her stock. When there are extra birds or birds not sufficient for their breeding program, those birds are then offered for sale.. mostly to 4-h, other locals, at shows, and to fellow fanciers. For the benefit of the breed, they may list thier names and addresses in the appropriate breeders clubs so start your search there if you are interested in true show quality birds. [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with MsBear, and I use that as well LOL!

4. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have to disagree with you, to some extent anyway. This only holds true IF you know people to have word of mouth advice from... If you're new to whatever breed (or chickens in general) you wouldn't have friends and connections to get things going or know who to talk to.

I have been searching high and low for a breeder (other than paul's poultry) that sells Silver Penciled Wyandottes.... I'm not having luck. I guess I'll just have to wait until the Ohio Nationals and hope and pray that I meet someone there that is a good breeder.

5. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    I wouldnt say they are not concerned about the business.We dont advertise or go out of our way to sell birds but we do sell a few extras to people during the fall,after we have picked out what we are going to show or use in our breeding program for the next year.Most of the time we sell birds to the same people every year.This helps pay some entry fees, gas and motel bills for the show season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by