Most of the mail order chicks arrived dead.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k9grammy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. k9grammy

k9grammy In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2019
    Bellingham, WA
    I recieved 28 day old chicks in the mail on Thursday morning. 22 were dead! Of the six that have survived, 5 are doing great. One is still a bit wobbly, but I think will make it. My question is...my local feed store has an over abundance of baby chicks, Some have just arrived and some are several weeks old. I'd like to add to my flock, can I mix them in with my little band? Should I just get the youngest or....
    I don't have the coop ready yet to move anyone out, figured I had a couple of weeks to get it done.

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  2. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Songster

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    if your going to add chicks try to add similar sized ones.

123RedBeard and to BarbsGirls like this.
  3. Merrymouse

Merrymouse Songster

Jan 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    do you mind if i ask which kind died? were they bantams? I feel like bantams struggle more with shipping. I just picked up my order this morning. 2 DOA (silkie and polish) 2 1 maran died after about 30 min and 2 other polish are most likely on their way out. Just curious to whaat you had

4. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Sure, go for it! How much are they?

5. k9grammy

k9grammy In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2019
    Bellingham, WA
    I had a mixed batch, so trying to figure out what survived. I know one Partridge Penedenca made it and I think one Maran. Not sure about the others. I did go down to the feed store and got some more chicks. Got 4 Wellsomer, 4 Delaware and 6 Golden sex link. Only the Delaware are bigger by a week. So far they seem pretty happy. The one Partridge chick was concerning because it didn't come out to eat much, but with the new guys there, she's been running out to be in the middle of whatever is going on. My one little Maron was bit of a bully at first even though she is smaller, but I think everyone is setting in.
    I do have one more question. Can I feed these babies lettuce? I have some extra and normally I throw it out for the birds, but thought maybe it would be good for the little one.

6. to BarbsGirls

to BarbsGirls Crowing

May 16, 2018
    Indiana
    No lettuce just yet, need to make sure they are accepting feed and water well for a time. You can give lettuce when they are a little bigger as long as you are serving chick grit free choice as well

blackdog043 and 123RedBeard like this.
  7. k9grammy

k9grammy In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2019
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks. I'm sure the birds say thank you too. The whole gang seem to be getting along great. I find I'm sitting in my chair and watching them way too much. Good thing I'm retired and have the free time to spend.

8. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Songster

Jun 13, 2015
    Chick tv is the best! I can lose hours just watching the little guys

to BarbsGirls and Merrymouse like this.
  9. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    What hatchery did they come from?

Did you get post office to document doa's? (Hatchery should refund you on the doa's)

10. k9grammy

k9grammy In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2019
    Bellingham, WA
    They came from Meyer and they have said they will give me a refund. I just need to send them photos of the survivors.
    One interesting thing. One little girl (the rare breed one) was not too energetic and I wasn't sure she was going to pull through. BUT when I added in the new chicks from the feed store, she became a wild thing. She runs out and bashes into chicks on the feeder, bowls over any that get in her way. I think her ALpha is coming out. Another of the survivors is the smallest of the lot and the biggest bully. This was the first one to drink and eat when they were first in the brooder. She has become my favorite. i think she is a Maran.
    What a great way to spend a morning, sitting and drinking coffee with my girls.

Merrymouse likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: