Most popular Meat Bird for profit?

ChickenJoe007

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2018
Is there a meat bird that’s typically better to raise for profit?.

I want to invest in some meat birds for myself and that I can sell to a market that’s willing to buy a familiar breed or etc that’s popular or common

Last edited:
The other "smart money" option would be to develop a market for something the consumer perceives as being superior.

Cornish X are the fastest to reach market weight, have the best feed conversion, etc...

But if you could develop a market that wanted something that was more inefficient and wasteful, because consumers thought the quality of the meat was better, or felt less guilt about their protein that way, or felt it was more akin to the chicken Nana raised, you might have something.

Your profitability is going to depend on where you are (climate), who your consumer is, what the market for farm-raised birds is, what you pay per chick, what it costs you to feed them to market weight, what it is going to cost to butcher and bag them, and what you do for housing.
Cornish Cross have been developed specifically for raising to market weight fast. Fast means less cost for housing as more are raised/sold per year. They will look like a supermarket chicken after butcher.
You could also go with another type of broiler hybrid - freedom rangers come to mind. They may take a little longer to reach butcher weight, but they may also be able to free-range better and find some of their own food, thereby reducing feed costs.
I would recommend that you raise a small number of them for yourself and track your costs- feed costs and quantity, time for chicken chores, housing, electric for brooder and lights, waste disposal, etc. Then you could figure out if this is even feasible for you.

Is it possible to get a heritage breed up to size on free range alone? Even if the birds do not get large if you do not pay for feed then the size or rate of growth isn't going to matter much.
Depending on the quality of the area that you have to free-range in, it could be possible. I couldn't do it at my place because even though I have 20 acres of pasture for them to free-range on, I lie in bed and listen to the packs of coyotes yap at each other every night. Too many predators around to allow free-ranging. I had a hawk kill one of my free-range guinney hens about 10 feet from the chicken run. It ate lunch right there on the ground - feathers everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom