Most practical chicken breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickendude12, Apr 19, 2019.

1. chickendude12

chickendude12 In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2019
    Tell me every one what you think the most practical chicken breed is I would go with Isa Browns as they lay plenty of and don't eat too much food.:D:thumbsup

2. Chickenladyyy123

Chickenladyyy123 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    I have 10 Isa brown hens that I hatched back in November. They just recently started laying and I get double yolkers from them non stop (and a triple about once a week) I personally love them, they have a wonderful temperament but can be a little noisy when they want to lay their eggs) Some other breeds I would recommend would probably be Buff Orpingtons and black Australorps, in my experience they’ve both been great layers and are extremely sweet chickens. Good luck!

3. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019
    I had an Australorp ounce and it kept on going broody

4. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019

5. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    For just eggs you can't beat production leghorns.
    They start laying early, lay a ton, lay longer and eat less then anything.
    Isa start laying pretty young also and can pace a leghorns production for a year maybe two but then they burn out. They also eat quite a bit more. Isa are excellent for the short haul but aren't built for long production lives or really for long lives at all.
    Huge down side for leghorns is that lay white eggs which don't sell like brown eggs. At least not in my area. Everyone things "farm fresh" eggs have to be brown.

cavemanrich and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  7. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019
    sorry my computer was not working and I had to press post reply heaps of times and so it posted it a few too many times:D;):p:barnie

8. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019
    Yes leghorns are another good breed for eggs

9. chickendude12

Apr 17, 2019
    What do you reckon a good show breed is? I like polish, the eat too much food but get a good price

10. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    Games, especially in an apocalyptic situation. Raise chicks with little human intervention, in near feral conditions. You can have whatever breed of chicken you want if you have games to raise them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: