Most resilient chick ever!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skylarms, Mar 1, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I just had our first chick hatch! It was two days earlier than expected, but it hatched! This little chick had quite a journey. It came from a friends mixed flock. Her broody hen had been setting for approximately 7 days when it was killed by a possum. The eggs were found stone cold the next morning. At 10 oclock am i told her to bring the eggs over and I would put them in my incubator. What the heck right? Well out of 10 eggs, three survived! A few days ago I smelt the funk that was one of them dying. This was not unexpected as the crappy incubator they were in spiked up to at least 108 for who knwos how long for no known reason. To top it all off, this little chicks air sac was on the side. I was told the chicks were day 7 when momma hen died, which meant they should have hatched sunday. Little resilient chick made it through all of this and is at home chirping away. Its either a light brahma or light brahma/RIR or Light Brahma/Buff Orpington mix.... I guess we will find out. I hope my fancy little shipped eggs are half as tough! Fingers crossed its a girl! Pictures coming soon!! This little chick is proof that not all hope is lost. Im thinking we may keep this one out of principle alone. Niw it needs a name....suggestions? Oh, I havent actually seen it yet because I am at work!!! I have been told it is solid yellow.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That chick really did beat the odds! You should choose a special name for it [​IMG]

3. ladyclapp

ladyclapp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    So cool congrat! I hope my ducklings make it I'm up almost three in morning cause my babies have begun to hatch. I rescued them to many for duck to hatch so poor eggs where out in cold. I made homemade incubator its been tough.

4. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA

It sure did beat the odds. Kids are working on a name now. Here's a picture from when I got home. It's legs are feathered, but I'm not sure if its purebred or not.

5. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by