1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most ridiculous broody behaviour yet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    My Silverlaced Wyandotte Go-Go is broody yet again, I think this is the 5th or 6th time since spring. There's no use eating her cause she's so thin now. Anyway, I was happy because no one else had gone broody and lo and behold I also had a pullet egg for the first time! Yay! But my RIR, my best layer, Alabama went broody and then her sister got hit by a car [​IMG] So I was ultra sad.

Until today. I locked my broodies out of the coop on my lunch break at 1:30 and when I came home there was a very big commotion. Alabama was standing on the coop, all puffed up just staring down at me. [​IMG] I don't know if she was guarding the coop or if she'd finally gone insane but there she was, broody as ever standing on the coop. I almost died.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Wow I wise I had as many broody hens as you! I have had hens since grad school and yet out of all of them only one has ever gone broody, I got so tried of wising for a broody hen I bought some Silkies so now I will have to many broody hens to know what to do with.

3. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Let's trade!

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Broodies are determined, aren't they? I have had nothing but broodies all Spring - as many as five at a time, and I only have 14 mature hens. Some of them quit and then start over again. We aren't hatching anything, so they are sitting on either air or each other, sometimes three in a box, even though there are plenty of nesting boxes. Nobody is broody right now, FINALLY (fingers crossed). Too hot anyway. Like sitting in an oven on purpose.

deb g

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I feel ya. My girls have been broody since May. I gave up in June and gave them a few eggs each to brood. Saphire was my only Wyandotte who did not feel the urge.....until recently.
    She is now sitting in with Rita (Silkie) on a nest of 12 eggs. Rita already has been on this nest for 1 week. I figure if Saphire wants to help make sure Rita is doing it right I will just let her.

This summer is such a scorcher though that it is really ruff on new chicks. This week we will have triple digit heat. I have had losses from the heat and have been providing ice bottles, fresh water daily, cold fruit, and constant checking to make sure everyone is ok. This is the worst weather to be broody in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by