1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most Roos you keep together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Angiebubs, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    What is the highest # of roosters you've kept together at one time?

What can you do to help them not fight? .... coop/run size?....enough hens to "go around"?
    Areas they can spread out/get away/divided areas?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Mostly it depends on 1) the breed, 2) the area, and 3) number of hens.

#1 determines all the rest.

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have 10 roosters running with about 100 hens, free range most of the time. A few squabbles but nothing deadly.

I have 8 roosters in Freezer Camp. They all get along, all different breeds. I put them all in at the same time, if I don't they will beat up the newcomer.
    People ask me if they fight. Nope just like men they all get along until a female is involved.[​IMG]

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I had 9...all supposed to have been pullets...all roos!
    Barred Rock and Australorps...they have all since been rehomed and I started all over again!
    I now have 3, raised together, no issues...they are Golden Duckwing and EE mix...

No issues with any of my roos....

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have a rir roo,a dark cornish bulldog roo and a white ee roo. but I also have 30 hens. no fights..even the red and dark lay next to each other. [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The most roos I've ever owned at one time is four. So far, I haven't had any problems. One is in the bantam coop with four hens, one is a Buckeye and part of a trio--he seems to be the head of the laying flock too. Another rooster is a very layed back lavender Oprington, and he's always with his hatch mate/girlfriend, who is a black orpington. They just run off together whenever it's time to free range. And the last rooster is a Coronation Sussex, who is also part of a trio. He's pretty young yet, but that trio also sticks together like glue--they're NEVER apart.

Everybody seems to sort of segregate into their own little groups, and they seem to get along just fine in the coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by