Most spastic breed of chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bakerjw, May 18, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I am new to chickens so I don't have much in the way of experience with different breed. First we had the 8 girls (TSC sex link pullets) and they were fairly subdued. They interact with us regularly but aren't overly friendly. Well at least not until one of us is dangling a night crawler for them. Then I went out and bought 5 white leghorn and 5 Silver Sebrights. the WLs run around in typical chick fashion but these darn Sebrights are something like a cross between Tasmanian devils and roadrunners.

So in you experiences, what have you found to be the most spastic breed of chicken as chicks would go? Just curious.

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't have Sebrights but my Wyandottes are simply little brats. Always there for a handout and always harrassing the others. I have Brown Leghorns and they are true to nature by avoiding the hand but my Orpingtons always come right up and don't fear us. I have a few day old chicks that scream their heads off. They are Production Reds. I have Partridge Rocks and Black Australorps too but they don't seem to stand out in any way except the Rocks have a shoe fetish. My days old White Rocks seem sweet so far.

I looked up Sebright's personality on Henderson's Chicken Breed Guide and this is what it said about them:

"tolerates confinement; fliers; jaunty, sprightly"

I know, not much info there but the jaunty and sprightly are rather road runnerish.

I guess they all have certain instinctual personality traits that have let them survive.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    We've had many different breeds over the years and the most spastic ever are the Lakenvelders...I don't like that breed at all! Their own shadow spooks them, they constantly upset all of the others with their spastic outbursts. I will never have this breed again.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by