most spectacularlly colored chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blueskylen, Jan 5, 2009.

1. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I have lived a very sheltered chicken life - only had the white ones when I was a child. I have lived 50 odd years not knowing about all of these different breeds!

What is the most colorful, brightest feathered chicken in the world?

where is there one source of all of the breeds pictures?

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I'm not sure of the answer to your first question, but to the second one, check out www.feathersite.com for photos of tons of different breeds and information on them.

HTH

Rusty

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I agree that feathersite is the most complete site to view all the poultry eye candy on.
    I personally think Mille Fleur D U'ccles are one of the most colorful and striking. Chesk them out [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    well, you don't have to be sheltered to wonder...my SIL came over at Christmas, and wanted to see the chickens.

my DH took her round to the coops and her first reaction was, "Oh my gosh, I didn't know chickens came in so many colors!"

then she wanted me to name a chicken Foghorn. a pullet from a surprise special. no Leghorns and all girls.

see? you already know they come in different colors, you're a step ahead!!! [​IMG]

5. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    The most beautiful I have ever seen are the Bluelaced red Wyandottes. I think the bantams are even prettier than the standards.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Standard Mottled Cochins look so regal....

But I had Dutch Banties as a kid that I was always so enthralled with!

If you are going for shock value: Spitzhaubens or Polish are great!

Really it's personal...you can look on McMurrayhatchery.com and order a catalogue...great to look at right before bed and have visions of birdies dancing in your head [​IMG]

7. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
  8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    "Spectacular" is in the eye of the beholder.

When I was growing up without chickens, I always wanted gold and silver laced birds. Now that I've actually got chickens, I don't have any!

My current favorite group of colors are the spangled/speckled/Jubilee/mille fleur types of birds. But OTOH, a simple Welsummer roo is my idea of what a rooster is really supposed to look like. So -- it all depends on your personal tastes. Take three or four or twenty hours to drool over all the pics on feathersite, and see what YOU like best!

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think the Blue Wheaton ameraucana Rooster is pretty handsome [​IMG]

10. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I think the BLRW are the prettiest too. Now if we are going off egg color and looks... I'd go with a Blue Wheaton Ameraucana Roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by