Most Wonderful Hens

Firearia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Ok, a lot of people have threads for the most handsome rooster, loveliest cockerel etc... But do the hens get that much attention on these threads?
idunno.gif
So let's post our most beautiful, cute, lovliest pattern... Any hen you find wonderful should fit in right here.

Unfortunately, all my little peeps are still in the brooder, they're two days old so I can't show them off here yet. But I love looking at all the wonderful hens, they amaze me!
love.gif

21969_dscn8714.jpg

here is my sweet buff orpington hen with her two suitors. she obviously had her favorite....lol. She was a lap hen and very very docile, but the top hen in her little flock of three. Usually I hear that buff orps are in the bottom of the pecking order.

Here's a picture of my all time number one girl Gimpy. Sadly, her life was cut short by an evil neighborhood dog.
sad.png
She was quite possibly the most lovely BO the world has ever known, both in appearance and in attitude. I still miss her to this day.
hit.gif

Adaywiththegirls052.jpg

Here's her twin sister, FussyButt, who today is my lead hen:

Adaywiththegirls049.jpg

Here's Lacy, one of the most comical Red Sex Links you could have ever met. Sadly, taken before her time by the same murderous dog.
rant.gif

Adaywiththegirls037.jpg

These two hooligans were April and JuneBug. They've gone on to a good new home this past spring along with their beloved rooster, Griffin. I hatched out 18 new chicks this spring and it was time for Griffin to go down the road a piece.
wink.png

Adaywiththegirls024.jpg

These three little darlings are/were Rachel, Rosie and LizzyBeth. Rachel and LizzyBeth were both taken from me by a hawk, just doing what comes natural to hawks. We still have Rosie. Boy! Is she ever a little pill! So much for BR's being all sweet and friendly!
tongue.gif

Adaywiththegirls012.jpg

This is my biggest girl, Brewenna. To the best of my knowledge, she's a light brahma, but of pet quality only. And she is BIG! Tipping the scales at just shy of 9 pounds!
th.gif
Next to her is JuneBug

BigBrewenna003.jpg

That's all of the really good pictures of my big girls. I'll submit some of the 13 pullets I hatched out earlier this spring when they reach laying age. Because, you did ask for HENS after all!
wink.png

This is my hen Gertie, the walking incubator. She will hatch just about any egg you put under her, though I haven't tried quail yet
smile.png
As far as I can tell, she is a cross between a silkie and a birchen OEG.
PICT0056.jpg

This is Nugget, the first chick ever hatched here from my birds. Sadly, poor Nugget lost her mama and all her siblings to a predator on the night Nugget hatched; luckily we found her on the floor of the chicken coop. Nugget is a blue OEGB.
PICT0125.jpg

This was Emma, my absolute favorite hen! I lost her a year or so ago, not really sure what happened there
sad.png
She is still missed. Emma was a bantam EE.
15806_pict0004.jpg

And this is Xiang Jiao, my little surrogate
smile.png
Only 4 of the chicks in the picture were hatched by her, but she raised a total of 18 chicks at once that year. This year she sat and hatched 9 of 9 eggs, and adopted 3 or 4 other chicks.
smile.png
I know I've got a better pic of her, but apparently it's not on my photobucket
hmm.png
Xiang Jiao (banana in chinese....loooong story!) is a splash OEGB.
PICT0053.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom