Mostly a baby duck, but a Silkie chick too!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shared Acres, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Reposting this from my business blog from last weekend:

When life gives you chicken poop...
    Or duck poop for that matter, you take a REALLY good shower and wash everything (clothes, countertops, etc!) !

When I was a little girl my grandparents had a farm and I remember it fondly. I've been wanting some chickens and things for awhile now, so this weekend we put my wish into effect.

I know you are probably double checking where I am now, and that's right, I'm in Jacksonville! LOL.

My friend Rachel's daughter came over Sat. night and is going home today. When she heard we were getting chickens and ducks she could hardly wait. She loves some PS3 game called Rub a Dub Dub where you save ducks, and she has wanted one for years. "Since I was little," she says. Mind you she is only 8.

Yesterday morning when we woke up, Calista immediately asked, "can we go get the chickens now!"

We made a temporary coop and went and wrangled 5 adult ducks for my inlaws and the lady gave Calista a baby duck of her choice. Once back to my house the duck immediately got a bath and then wrapped in a towel. Calista and "Peepers Poopers" immediately watched TV together before we got the call that our chickens were ready for pickup!

We weren't sure which kind to get, but after a little research, we ended up with Chinese Silkie chickens, which are like the Poodles of the chicken world. And they are the most pet like. They have very fluffy feathers and people used to think they were a cross between a chicken and a rabbit. We got 3 babies. I picked out a black one and named it "Kentucky," my husband named his grey one "Chino," (means Chinese in Spanish) and Calista named her 2 day old black baby chick "Nugget."

I had a photo shoot this morning and in a bribe to get Calista out of bed in a hurry, I agreed she could bathe with Peepers. He immediately crapped twice. Soo, she got a second bath without Peepers!

[​IMG]
    Peepers and Calista went to the studio and were very quiet and well behaved during the family shoot I had this morning. I caught a couple of her and Peepers afterwards. Don't get many ducks in studio!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I prefer to call this next one, "I got my eyes on you!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Beautiful pictures. Congrats on your new babies!

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

omg!!!!! that is possibly the cuteist thing i have ever seen in my intire life!!!!!!!!!! i LOVE the one with her eyes on the duck on the table.. soooo adorable! i want to do a cool photo shoot too with my baby ducks!! [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Thank you!

If anyone is in my area, my new studio allows pets (moving next month)! I also do on location shoots (like in your home). Had to sneak the ducky into the current studio, lol.

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Aw! Very sweet!

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    those pictures are TREASURES for sure!!

Your daughter and her new duck friend are very cute!

7. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Fisher Mom--I don't have any kids. She's a friend's daughter. So, to the mom, I'm probably heaven--I let her kid have a chicken and a duck and I KEEP them (feed them and all that other stuff), lol!

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    ooo I see that now.. lol short term memory here on my end!

yes, that must be heaven to her.

well, either way.. you have taken a treasure of a picture for your friend!

9. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I got a call from the little girl's mom, the girl was asking if her duck was a big duck yet (it's been 2 weeks), lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by