Mostly homeschooler question all opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by southernsibe, May 29, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    This is geared primarily to home schoolers but I welcome anyone that wants to answer.

I have been thinking about offering a "field trip" type experience at my house. I hesitate to call it a workshop because I don't know how much interest there is and don't want to make it too difficult. My farrier is willing to have a group of homeschooling families watch him trim and or shoe my two horses. While he does it he would explain the why and how of what he is doing. He also would show how the portable forge in his truck works, and pound some horse shoes into neat shapes, hearts , hoof picks.

The person I use has a family history of being a farrier, and knows his craft very well. Third generation on one side, sixth generation on the other. Plus he is in college, paying his own way by working as a farrier. He shod his first horse by himself at 11, and has worked professionally since about 16.

My hold up on this is, while I find this very interesting, I'm not sure anyone else would. For those that live in the country and or have horses, this isn't really that big a deal, but for families that are in town, it's something different. Since I live so close to Colonial Williamsburg I could probably tie it into that and or Jamestown, meaning the colonial way of life and that farriers and blacksmithing have come a long way, and in some ways it's a lost art.

In addition to this, perhaps on the same day or another depending on response, I was thinking of offering another workshop/field trip where I would show a couple different breeds of chickens to the kids, talk about the anatomy, what is different between them and the same. Basic chicken stuff that as BYC'rs we take for granted and most all of our kids know just from proximity.

Does anyone have any comments? How to pitch it, anything to add or omit?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I think it is a great idea. You would have to think about what you would charge for such an event. Definitely tie the two events together as there may not be enough content for two separate trips. You need to think about having participants sign a waiver of liability so you don't get sued if someone steps on a nail or something worse. Too early in the morning is not usually a good time...maybe mid-morning and then have a place for them to bring a picnic lunch and eat it there. Included in the the "price of admission", you could supply drinks. How does that sound? I am ready to go...oh wait, Texas is a long way from you.

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Great concept! I would suggest you network with other homeschoolers & share ideas (and the workload). Who knows how far this could go?
    In Mid-Michigan, a group of parents created a Friday academy that meets at the recreation center of Delta College. Parents teach geography, art, history, etc. And the college gives swim lessons. I don't know the history, but can imagine that it started out with a few parents.

4. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My cousin has 8 kids and home schools all of them. She lives in Ocala Florida. She takes her kids all over Ocala to learn and experience everything from egg hatching to breaking a horse in. She feels these life experiences are very important to her kids. I know if she lived in your city she would definaetly bring her kids

DeeDee

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Don't know how even tempered your horse is, but maybe also a lesson in grooming. Collecting the eggs. maybe borrow a few other animals from neighbouring farms--goats donkey, llamas, etc., with a bit of info on each of the animals, what it means to have a 'farm', where food comes from, etc., Get an old washboard and clothes lineshow how it was done in the olden days etc etc. I thnk it would be great. Get other homeschooler moms to help out with things they can contribute. and for the fun part--research games that colonial children used to play and do that after lunch.

6. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I think it's a great idea! I'd come! Also, consider offering it to anybody, not just homeschoolers. Or try it w/ the HSers first, then see how it goes, then send your local schools a flyer to put in each teacher's mailbox!!! You could have class field trips there! Or offer on a Saturday to anybody, but by registration only... so you can be sure you'll have enough people to make it worth your time.

Definitely do a waiver of liability like birdbrain said. Even if someone trips wrong and breaks an arm or something. The key is to make SURE everyone has one signed (by their parent if it's a minor)

Print up some flyers that describe what's going to go on (like you described in your post) don't forget to include your contact info but I'd only put a general direction of WHERE you're located... they can call and register or whatever... to get the exact location. That's just me though, I'm leery about putting out my home location to anybody! Then post at the library, and any bulletin boards around town. Email them to any HSers you know, and ask them to forward on to any that they know in the area.

I'd even go as far as having some info on the history of blacksmmithing printed up to hand out for them to take home and read. And/or info about the specific breeds of chickens you'll be talking about..... or basics of chicken care or something like that. Also a coloring sheet of a chicken or something.... for the younger ones in the group to take home and color. When we go on field trips and there are handouts and coloring sheets for the younger ones.... that gives us something to go over later or the next day.... and discuss what we learned... and take it a little further... helps them remember better.

Love your idea! Best of luck! Keep us updated as to where you're going w/ it!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I think it's a great idea, but a waiver of liability a) would have to be very precisely worded to fit the laws of your particular state, being aware that not all rights *can* legally be waived; and b) a waiver is not enough -- you should run the idea past your homeowner's insurance company first to make sure it's not going to result in your policy getting cancelled or something like that.

Probably better safe than $orry (unless you're ok with risking losing everything if something goes wrong - parent trips down a step, kid gets serious or fatal enteritis from poo exposure, etc).

Good luck,

Pat

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    If you were within driving distance we'd sign up in a heartbeat. I think it's a great idea.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think its a great idea, my son got to go on a field trip to an auction place last year, and then they were shown around, and they got to watch a horse being shod, and things like that... he enjoyed it... he's 8!

10. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    Thanks to everyone for the great ideas!

Patandchickens, do you have any idea where I would start researching the particular state laws regarding this? I can call my insurance company and just ask them for that information, but I'm not sure about the state or county laws. Thanks!!!

Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by