Moth balls!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tball, Aug 4, 2011.

1. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    i have a pretty goog perimiter fence on my coop. But i keep reading that coons can "tear" poultry net. my walls are chain link covered with hardware cloth, my roof is 2\\3 metal and under that is 2" poultry net..... [​IMG] I was thinking of taking an old sock and throwing on roof { filled with moth balls} would this work, or is run off from rain TOXIC or ....i dont know ! What do you think? [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very toxic stuff. I doubt it would slow down a determined raccoon either.

Can you lock them in a very secure coop at night? Coons do hunt during the day, but nighttime is far worse.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I think electric fence....

4. Sylvialarry

Sylvialarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Northern Calif
    Yes, electric fence. We have a huge raccoon who has been visiting for about a week now. First early morning I saw him our dogs went crazy and he climbed the tree. Wasn't sure what it was so I got the flashlight and wow. I noticed that he even got up on the roof of their house, saw his footprints. Thank goodness our coop is really secure. My husband dug wire down along the fence line and they are closed up at night. I would be devastated if something happened to them. Love my girls!![​IMG]

5. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    My fiance' uses mothballs in his boat over the winter to keep the cats out. It doesn't work! The cats get it under the cover and sleep and urinate, even with the moth balls in there. I get nauseated just getting a whiff of the nasty things. I am thinking they are only good for moths. Good luck, you never know.

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    moth balls? how'd you spread their tiny legs apart to get them?

7. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Hilarious!! Thanks for the good laugh [​IMG]

8. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    .22 cal short to the head will also eliminate the problem and you will have hat for winter. 2 problems solved with 2cent cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by