mothballs-do they hurt chickens

gottaluvchickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
I am thinking about getting mothballs to help keep my girls and my roos safe. But do they harm the flock? Thanks in advance!

I use them all the time around my coops-they're supposed to help keep snakes away. I've never had a problem with them. My chickens don't mess with them at all.

Paula

I use them, and my chickens don't seem interested in them at all. I don't know about them being toxic or not, but I've never seen one of my birds trying to eat moth balls.

Paula

The vapors from moth balls can be toxic, so it would not be advisable to use inside a coop. I would think even using them under a shed-type coop could be dangerous. I wouldn't risk it. Outside the coop might be okay if they were where your chickens couldn't peck at them or ingest them.

I don't use them inside the coops. I just put them along the outside of the coops, and along the fence line of my chicken yard. I don't think I could stand the smell inside the coop. Way too stinky..........

Paula

My husband isn't at all fond of my kids 12 of them he put mothballs INSIDE the coop behind the nesting boxes so the chickens cant get to them. BUT STILL. .I asked him to get them out and do something else to deter the mice. Reminded him that mothballs are poisonous, that caused a big argument. All I can do is hope and pray the fumes don't harm them or me as I have to go inside myself. I galled him many things none of which were nice. Needless to say In am ****** in a BIG WAY.
I've read that sprigs of catnip deter mice, and it smells much better to people and poultry than mothballs. OMGI can't believe he did that knowing how bad it is.

I am having a terrible snake problem. I put mothballs in pantyhose and pinned them up around the inside of the ex tremely ventilated coop thinking I had a great plan. Boy was I wrong! When it came time to roost, they refused to go up. I took moth balls out and they were all up 5 minutes later. I'm going to try a few outside this time

Back
Top Bottom