Mother adoption help

chickers chat

Hatching
Apr 1, 2016
Hello, I have a brahma hen she has one chick that hatched last night and one hatching right now. I got new 8 day old mile fleur chick's and wanted to give them to my brahma is it a bad idea? What could go wrong? Will she kill them?

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Sorry, I have no experience adding chicks to my flock, but hopefully someone with experience will be by to offer suggestions.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Some hens will happily accept new chicks and others won't so you really won't know unless you try. If you are going to add them to her do it at night when it's dark so she and the chicks are settled and quiet. Gently slip the chicks underneath her and see what happens. If all is quiet leave them but check first thing at day break to make sure she has accepted them. There is a risk though with her not wanting them so having a back up brooder is a must.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Thank you
I tucked them under her at night and in the morning there were there. I was mostly worried because she is a grumpy broody. She loves them!

Back
Top Bottom