Mother/baby relationship

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknmania, Jun 21, 2009.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    How long, before a mother hen will forget her chicks? We were trying to switch Wishbone and her young chicks into a bigger pen today, and Wishbone got away from my DD. [​IMG] Who, I just have to vent...couldn't wait the five minutes for me to get out to the barn to help her...just had to open the pen and try to do it all herself...Anyway, we can't catch Wishbone (the mom). and she isn't particularly interested in hanging out near the chick's new pen, like we'd hoped. I know the chickes will be ok without her, but it would really be better if they were with their mothe, she will protect them and teach them things we can't.. So, if we can catch her tomorrow, will they still remember each other, or whill she try to hurt them?I know we won't be able to catch her when she goes to roost; she'll roost as high us as she can possibly get. Always was a witch to catch...but a good mother. And, it makes me sad to hear them pififully peeping in there.

2. dftkarin

dftkarin Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm curious about this too

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Problem solved, anyway. We went out again at roosting time, though my DD had been trying to catch Momma hen Wishbone a couple of times during the afternoon; she was incredibly wary. When we went out at roosting time Wishbone was sitting on a stool outside the chick's pen, pathetically calling her babies, and they were all frantic trying to get to her. Nothing doing as far as opening the door and ushering her in, though. She flew away and flew up on a shelf. WELL....Doodle roo saw a prime opportunity and uh, took it. [​IMG] And while he had Wishbone pinned down, my DD bounded over there and snatched Wishbone out from under him! Great team effort!!! Thanks, Doodle![​IMG] Wishbone happily re-united with family now but boy she sure remembers yesterday; cusses us out whenever she sees us, ESPECIALLY my youngest DD, who's the one who caught her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: