Mother Duck Killing her Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lndzd, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Lndzd

Lndzd New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Maryland
    Help! My Duck hatched 8 ducklings. (She had 10 eggs and already threw out and killed 1 right after it hatched). They all hatched 2 days ago and were perfectly healthy, then this morning I saw that she threw 2 of the ducklings out of the nest and drowned another one. Why would she kill a 2 day old baby? Does she have too many and can't handle it? Should I take some of the ducklings away and put them in a brooder box? I don't want her killing more of them. Thank you for any help/advice you can give me!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd take them all away, some ducks are just not good mothers and she sure hasn't proved she is, I wouldn't take any more chances. are you sure it's her? any others able to get to the ducklings?

3. Lndzd

Lndzd New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Maryland
    It is definitely the mother. Okay, I think I will take them away from her. How long do you think I should wait before I can try to put them back with her and my other female duck?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd let them be at least 4 weeks old and in the meantime fix it so they can all see each other at times during warmest part of day so ducklings won't chill [but where none will be in hot sun] so they can be together but not where any harm can come to the ducklings. . Your ducks will accept the duckling eventually but there will always be a pecking order. a couple years ago one of my Scovy went broody she was a wonderful brooder, once hatching began she attacked the one duckling and tried to kill him, the other died trying to hatch, she surprised me. I have never had an unfit mother duck till her. Last year I let her sit again, watched her closely ready to intervene she was a wonderful mother. You just never know.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I had one that was unfit for motherhood. Do take the remaining ducklings away and brood them yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by