Mother Earth News Article on Chicken Coops

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 1, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
  2. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Interesting... somewhat similar to what I had in mind with mine. I just haven't gotten around to attaching wheels or handles yet. Honestly, I'm still pondering the hows on attaching the wheels and what kind to use.

I kind of wish there was a "duck house" section on this forum because ducks have a little bit different requirements for housing than chickens. Wider ramp, less angle on the ramp, no roosts for most breeds, etc... also I would love to find out more on square foot per duck per breed.

The first time I set up my house it was about 8" off the ground so the door/ramp was a little bit steeper than I anticipated. Well my runners looked at my like I was crazy, if they could have talked it would have been, "You want us to walk up THAT? Ain't. Gonna. Happen."

3. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I'll second the request for a separate duck coop section.

Scott

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  5. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Oh don't get me wrong, the sticky has some nice information. But just recently I have found a couple really nice setups by chance, I happened to see a bit of their setup in a picture they posted and searched their topics to see if they had ever posted full duck run setups. Fortunately they had, but it seemed to me it would be really nice to have a place where those setups might be closer to the surface...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by