Mother Earth News former staffer gave my coop a two-thumbs up!! :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristenm1975, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My fiance and I adapted our chicken tractor/coop idea from one we found in a book and made a pretty decent job of it, I thought, despite not having any background at all in carpentry or construction. (He's an art director, I'm a nanny)

About two weeks after we finished it up, we found an amazing 5 acre place on Whidbey Island and found ourselves needing to sell it, as the new house comes with a nice big coop and run, and we wouldn't have room on the truck for it.

We moved it from the fenced back yard to the open front yard so that it would be easy for the new owners to pick it up. Ever since then, we've had a steady stream of people stopping and gawking at my girls. [​IMG] It's been SO much fun to watch people enjoying a little unexpected bit of country-living right in the city.

One guy stopped by while I was at work and was so delighted with the coop and run that he came to the door to talk to my fiance about it. He used to work for Mother Earth News and said our coop was one of the nicest he'd ever seen. When I heard about it, I was so excited, I was jumping up and down. It felt SO good to have someone give us such an enthusiastic thumbs up since we were total amateurs.

This may sound like the most atrocious horn-tooting, but I'm hoping the rest of you who've put in lonnnnng hours building your own coops and delight in the reaction it garners from others, will understand that I'm just sharing because it was such a cool, unexpected moment. [​IMG] Here's a picture of the coop in the backyard:

[​IMG]

And a picture of the coop and run at the new house:
    [​IMG]

How many hens do you think can be kept in the new place? I think they have about 16 now. I'm hoping to be able to have more than that there. Opinions?

Thanks!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That would be exciting! I think it is quite cute myself! [​IMG]

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Very cute! How large do you think the coop and run are at the new place? My Aunt and Uncle used to live on Whidbey and I love it there. Congrats!

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Toot that horn! You deserve to, your coop is lovely and everyone deserves an "attaboy/girl" for a job well done. I'd be excited too!

as for how many in the new one...i haven't a clue. Enjoy your new place!

5. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the kind words, fellow chicken lovers. [​IMG]

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Hey now, that green coop looks familiar! [​IMG]

Did you find someone to lift it over the fence? (I saw the add of Craig's List.)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  7. kristenm1975

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hello Coffeelady3!

I found a giant living amongst us regular folks in Ballard (seriously, well over 7 feet!!!) who, for some reason, wanted to help me out with the job of lifting it over the fence. It was a little embarrassing to have to admit to the world at large that I actually built a coop in my back yard that had no easy way out. I was just so excited to get chickens in my backyard immediately, that I figured I'd work out that little detail later. [​IMG]

It did work out very nicely though. Our local giant had his diminutive helper with him and they fixed us right up. Today, I'm making the great chicken trek, taking mine and picking up as many as I can find locally and driving them out to Whidbey. Wouldn't you know it, but my maran, Plucky, JUST started crowing last night. Nice timing. (He was supposed to be a she)

I'll be posting some fun pictures soon of the whole new conglomeration of chickens at the new place. [​IMG]

8. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Great job on your old coop. Welcome to Whidbey, a little slice of heaven on earth :)

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

How many hens do you think can be kept in the new place? I think they have about 16 now. I'm hoping to be able to have more than that there. Opinions?

Looks much too small for 16 chickens...actually looks much too small for how many you can see in the pic! What in the world would they DO all day in that small of a space if there is no grass or anything?​

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I love the green coop - am not a big A-frame fan in general but your add-on run is very cleverly designed!

Guesstimating the run at the new place as something like 10x10 and the coop at something like 8x4 I would say that 16 chickens is a LOT [​IMG] OTOH it looks like there is plenty of room for expansion so in answer to "How many hens do you think can be kept in the new place?" I would say "lots, it will just take a bit of lumber and wire" [​IMG]

Good luck, and congrats,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by