Mother hen and chick

Chickadee0121

Chirping
Jan 18, 2020
Red House, WV
My Silkie hen’s chick hatched Saturday. She and chick are still in nesting box. Do I need to move them to another, area away from the flock? I have several other hens and a rooster. Thank you for your help.
ED735C70-C683-4F7B-84EA-E6BBD435EEF3.jpeg

Every hen and rooster group is different, so its impossible to say how your flock will react to re-emerging broody and her chick. If your broody is to timid, sometimes she cant defend against bad doers.
Most times it all works out fine. But be watchful that first day she ventured out.
The ramp will be an obstacle your chick will likely fail and need help with for the first week or so. Getting down will usually be falling off the sides, but getting back up will usually leave them stranded alone below. Again, be watchfull.

They may be fine with the flock p, but questions would be...
Is the nest where they are easy for the chick to get in and out of?
Are there still other eggs to hatch under your broody?
Is it going to be easy to make sure the chick has access to chick starter and a chick safe waterer in the flock environment?
Are there ramps that your chick will have to navigate to get up and down?
Cute picture, congratulations!

Every hen and rooster group is different, so its impossible to say how your flock will react to re-emerging broody and her chick. If your broody is to timid, sometimes she cant defend against bad doers.
Most times it all works out fine. But be watchful that first day she ventured out.
The ramp will be an obstacle your chick will likely fail and need help with for the first week or so. Getting down will usually be falling off the sides, but getting back up will usually leave them stranded alone below. Again, be watchfull.
I just wanted you to know...You were absolutely correct about the ramp. Mother and chick were out in the yard all day. When she went up this evening to nest, the chick was stranded. I had to help it up. I’m thankful for your advise, and so glad I knew to watch for this. Thanks again!

They may be fine with the flock p, but questions would be...
Is the nest where they are easy for the chick to get in and out of?
Are there still other eggs to hatch under your broody?
Is it going to be easy to make sure the chick has access to chick starter and a chick safe waterer in the flock environment?
Are there ramps that your chick will have to navigate to get up and down?
Cute picture, congratulations!
Thank you. I do have a ramp that leads to the yard. I can however put feed and water up inside the housing area where the nesting boxes are located. There are no other chicks to hatch. My main concern was if it will be safe around the other hens and rooster. Mother seems to be very protective right now though. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom