Mother hen attacked by dog?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KauAnnie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    A friend gave me a hen she saved from getting attacked by a dog. Several of her chicks go eaten so there is only one left. She has lost an eye and has back feathers pulled out. I think she might also have a tick/mites infestation. Will post pics ASAP. What should I do?

Currently she is in a dog kennel with her chick. It's late, but early next morning, I will tend to this issue.

We have named her plankton and her chick peeps

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    keep her wounds clean and dry, she should do fine. keep an eye out for infection. Not sure if you can dust her for lice with a baby, hope someone with more experience gives you some info. good luck with them

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    As long as she's eating and drinking and so is her chick she should be fine. The only risk is infection in a wound or from her eye. As soon as you see a problem take her to the vets as the chick needs her Mum and she might be thin from the tramua she may not survive an infection with out any extra help..
    Good Luck [​IMG]

4. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Heres some pics of Mama and Baby. Shes very scared so this was the best I could do...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Poor girl! Thank you for taking her in [​IMG]

As others have said, the eye is probably the worst risk right now. If you want to do something preventative, flushing her wound with saline solution from a syringe or dripped from a cloth would probably help. I wouldn't do too much scrubbing or rubbing--it would probably aggravate her injury.

She's probably in shock if this happened recently. Just keep her in a quiet place and maybe even put a bit of sugar or electrolytes in her water.

As for the lice or mites--if you're worried about the chick, giving her a dustbath with DE in it will help her to keep the parasite load to a minimum. It won't get rid of all of the bugs, but it will help.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by