Mother Hen, chicks and flock question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shannara200, Jul 29, 2014.

1. shannara200

shannara200 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello Everyone, I just wanted to get some advice as to what I should do concerning a hen with chick's. I have a hen that went broody and I decided to move her to the garage so she can be at peace while incubating eggs I placed for her, well they hatched a little over a month ago and all 5 chick's are healthy and enjoying the environment. after the birth of them I let the hen and chicks free range during the day while I work on the yard and other things, at about 6pm every day I open the coops and let all the chickens free range for exercise and bug hunts, the mother and chicks are doing fine concerning spending time with the flocks, and the rooster that runs the flock she is with seems to like to spend time with her and the chicks.

Right now the hen seems to getting back to normal where she is letting the rooster mount her and she is laying eggs, but she is still staying in the garage at night with the chick's (She lays her egg at night in the garage since during the day she is running around keeping up the chicks actions), the chicks are a little more then a month old and are in good shape growing bigger everyday. What I wanted to know is if I should put the mother and chicks into the coop she is from or wait for her to go into on her own at dusk, also should I keep the chicks out until they are bigger? or let them follow the mother when she make the move to return. So far the other hens seem to show no issue with the chicks being around but that is only during free ranging, how they react if the chicks are in the run and coop I have on idea since it has not happen yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, I have done some research but there is many different actions people have done so I am not sure how to go forward with this

Thank you for your info

Chicken Shepard in Georgia.

2. Big yellow

Big yellow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Well, you could let the mother go back with her chicks and watch what happens. The chickens may fight over sleeping space, but that should get resolved pretty soon. I would just keep and eye on the chicks and the hen. Make sure to break up any fights that happen.

Hope this helps

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

At some point in the next few weeks, the hen will be done with the chicks. So if it does not matter, just let them hang together until mother decides she has had enough and it is time for the little ones to fend for themselves. Just my thoughts on this, your management style will decide in the end.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by