Mother Hen Feed Vs. Chick Feed

ihaveasunrae

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2014
Hello! I’m raising my baby chicks with a mother hen. Am I supposed to be feeding the mother different feed than the babies’ starter feed? Are their nutritional needs different? I don’t want the mom to have any nutritional deficiencies especially since she got so frail while sitting on her eggs. But I don’t know if it’s appropriate to feed the babies the adult formula. They are staying together in a coop away from the other hens, but the mother hen does NOT tolerate being separated from her babies to go feed with the other hens for any length of time to eat and also to get grit or oyster shell. Is it ok to have grit and oyster shell for mom in with the babies? Thanks!

My mother hen is also living in a separate coop with her 3 chicks. She has only had the chick feed since they hatched. I was told it is very good for the mother because mine is 8 years old and would never leave the chicks or the eggs and did get rather thin even though I kept food up there for her. I heard the chick starter is very nutricious.

I've raised a few chicks with hens this year.This hen and chick are in a grow out pen inside the coop. Now my entire flock eat chick starter. When this bag is gone I'm putting flock on All Flock feed. I have bowls of chick grit,baked&ground egg shell and oyster shell for any that want it.

Attachments

• 20230713_133501.jpg
    20230713_133501.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom