Mother hen losing a lot of feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by domromer, Jun 17, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My hen Tasmin has chicks that are two weeks old today. She seems to be losing feathers every time she moves. Is this normal? I thought maybe she'd lose some feathers while she had eggs so they could stay warm close to her skin. But now that the chicks are 2 weeks old she seems to be losing a ton of feathers. She is eating fine and free ranging all day with the chicks so I assume she is healthy.

2. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I will be interested in the replies. I noticed just this morning that my mama hen had quite a few feathers in her pen. Her babies are 2 weeks old too.

Ellie

3. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    Molting maybe?

4. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    That's what I thought to but it seemed like the timing would be a bit funny.

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    check her for chicken lice

6. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Anyone else with anymore ideas? She had a big naked patch now on her lower breast. I held her for a little while and looked for any bug or mites but didn't see any. Is it different than looking for fleas on a dog? Should I be looking somewhere special?

What about putting some DE in her bedding where she sleeps with the chicks? Would that be ok?

7. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i dunno it might get the chicks sick, if she does have lice they like to embed themselves deep in the feathers, but if its bad enough you'll see them big time, it might just be stress, i'm sure its nothing to worry about, but its good to see such a concered owner, just don't let it get the best of you lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by