Mother hen of four chicks -suspected Mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RDC285, Apr 3, 2011.

1. RDC285

RDC285 New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Hey there,

My mum currently has a sick hen who has four 3 week old chicks. She is showing signs of Mareks, her legs are very weak, and her wings are becoming weak too. She can barely walk. My mum has seen a chicken with the same symptoms through this before, by isolating her, and nursing her back to health. The hen and her chicks are already isolated, but a decision needs to be made as to whether the chicks are taken from their mother. Looking after the chicks will be no hassle, the worry is that taking her babies from her will stress her out. The chicks are constantly jumping all over her etc, and it has to be exhausting... Would removing the chickens help or hinder her recovery attempt?

(Just going to throw this in... I've done some reading on Mareks and realise the outlook isn't great. The decision has been made to try and see this hen through to health, and that's what we intend to do).

I would really appreciate any ideas on this one!

Thanks in anticipation [​IMG].

Jessica.

2. splinter

splinter New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    Dont immediatly assume its mereks, If you can seperate her from her chicks,such as a small cage, mix some epson salt in some drinking water for a few days and see if she improves. We actually have had some show signs of mereks and this cured them. We vaccinate ours at a day old for mereks, but it is not a 100% guarantee that they will not ever get the disease. 1 visit from a wild bird with it can do damage.................Good luck

3. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Hope she gets well soon

4. RDC285

RDC285 New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    Thankyou, she died, but the chickens are ok and I will hand raise them. (mum)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by