Mother hen pecking 3-4day old chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spudley, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Spudley

Spudley New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Hi, we have 2 broody hens. one of them has hatched her chicks really well but the other one has been pecking at the eyes of a 3-4 day old yellow chick. We think she has been singling this one out as the rest of the hatched chicks are black. The chick has now closed its eyes and one of them is all red around the outside. We have taken it away from the hen and are going to probably have to hand raise it but do you have any ideas how we can treat its eyes?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

I think you may be able to put the chick back but hens will peck at the chicks and the chicks learn to hide in the wings and under her in the feathers. I would not raise a lone chick if you can add another one or two with it. A lone bird will not reintegrate with the others well and may end up low on the pecking order its whole life.

Welcome to the forum

Caroline

3. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Ok I don't agree with the mod.I've raised chicks by themselves and they did fine.I'm not going to sugar coat it,it will be an up hill climb.Just don't let it get cold.Let me know what you decide.Hope it helps,good luck.:)

4. Spudley

Spudley New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Thank you both for your help, the chick is looking a lot better and is a lot more lively than it was. Although one eye is still sore it has opened the other one. We did think about putting it back in later on but the has been completely ignoring it and not letting it get under her for warmth and she left it in the pen while she led the other chicks round the garden. We are going to keep it inside and will get a heat lamp to keep the chick nice and warm! Just thinking, if we get a chick out to join it- will it peck and hurt the yellow one?

5. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    No it shouldn't,but keep a close eye.

6. Spudley

Spudley New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Ok, thank you so much!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I agree you should raise the chick yourself. It would be best with a buddy, if the eye is still reddened around it - that does attract another chick to peck it. Hopefully it will look healed by the time you find another chick. Some hens aren't the best mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by