Mother Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bellajenn, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bellajenn

bellajenn Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Hello,

I am new to chickens. Had mine since July when they were a week old. I have my first Brody hen. I am so excited. My problem is she has been sitting on the eggs about 13 days now and I noticed yesterday that she has more eggs than what she started out with. Last week I finally was able to count them and she had 15 eggs but last night I went up there and now she has over 25. They all have to be at different stages. I need help. I am not sure what I should do. I have separated her so she can't get anymore eggs but what do I do with the eggs she has. When the ones that she has been sitting on since day one start to hatch I know she will eventually abandon any unhatched eggs to take care of her chicks. Should I try putting them in an incubator?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Personally, I'd candle all and place the most advanced ones back under her after marking them and place the rest in an incubator. When a hen goes broody you should mark all eggs that you want her to have and then remove any new ones on a daily basis so that you don't have development spanned across days.

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    and [​IMG]

4. bellajenn

bellajenn Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    Yes. I am learning as I go. Next time hopefully I will be a pro. LOL

1 person likes this.
  5. bellajenn

bellajenn Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    I just wanted to update you. 11 babies are alive and well so far. Apparently I am not good at candling though. Some in the incubator hatched too and of course I was out of town. Thankfully mother Hen accepted all. I still have 11 in the incubator as I did not notice that she had more under her until a week later so not sure how far along if any are good. I will keep them in for another week before I get rid of them.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by