mother hen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jaxxx, Jul 29, 2013.

1. jaxxx

jaxxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    I have a hen who has hatched 2 chicks now a week old. I am worried about her because she doesn't appear to be eating. She will call the chicks to eat food I scatter in the pen but does not take them to the feeder. I have put in her favourite treats in cups out of the chicks reach but she hasn't touched them. I am mindful that the chicks need to eat crumb so have not put anything else in that they can feed on. Whist she was on the eggs she did not come out much at all and ate very little so I am concerned she will become ill. She looks well at the moment and is a very attentive mom and wants nothing at all to do with us. what do I do? Any advice would be most welcome.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if she is reluctant to eat when her chicks are not eating. If the treats are something the chicks won't choke on, you could try giving them to everyone. You can feed everyone the chick crumble, if that helps. Does she seem underweight, that is, is her keel or breast bone sticking out, is she lighter than other chickens of her breed, if you have them?

3. jaxxx

jaxxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks for the advice flockwatcher. She seems a little better now and appears to be eating a little more. However still not enough she is hardly pooping and has now started to pull her feathers out. I am wondering if she has an infestation of some kind. I am reluctant to handle her at the moment she gets so distressed when we go in the pen she treads all over the chicks in an attempt to protect them. Will try and sort it when she is in the nest box I have a better chance then of looking at her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by