Mother-in-law's chickens are dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dannyjohnson88, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dannyjohnson88

Dannyjohnson88 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Dothan, Al.
    [​IMG]Over the past week two of her chickens have died for seemingly no reason. They are kept in a large coop and run. None of the other chicken seem sick. Here are some pics of the chickens poop look like it may have blood in it

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Dannyjohnson88

Dannyjohnson88 New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Dothan, Al.
    What should we do?

3. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Just posted almost the same story! I've lost 3 birds in the last two days. Can you PM me the type of food you are using? I'm just curious if that might have something to do with it... Thanks, and best wishes!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have either of you added any new flock members recently? How old are your chickens. Have you looked up information for Coccidiosis? Coccidosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss,general look of unwell. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium) or may be called Amprol(amprolium). Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL birds for 5 days,make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink. Treating birds with Amprolium for cocci will not harm them,but not treating if they have coccidiosis will result in deaths. Coccidiosis kills very fast. Older birds can have an overload/outbreak of coccidiosis.

Have birds been checked over for lice/mites? Worms can also cause similar symptoms,but if deaths have happened fast and within a couple of days of each other,start with coccidiosis as the possible cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by