Unacceptable Guest Dog

All I can say is, stand your ground. I do not have contact with my *** so I have great sympathy for you. Hopefully the dog will stay home next time she visits. If not, have that gun ready you threatened the dog with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this same problem to the point I've asked her not to bring her dog over. She does it anyway and insists that shes fine not being on a leash. Most of my chicks stay in the fence but my new barred rocks like to escape. I warned her that if her dog attacks my livestock I'll have to shoot it. She still brings the dog over. You cant teach an old dog new tricks if they walk on two legs. The only thing some people understand is consequences. This being said they were just in a park a couple of months ago with their dog on a leash and another owners dog was leashless and attacked their dog. My FIL shot that dog right in front of the owner. You would think they would understand better than anybody after that. But nope. People are the worst kind of animal

Even if someone's dog is ok with THEIR chickens (or toddlers, or cats, or rabbits....fill in the blank), it doesn't mean it'll be ok with everyone else's......there are also so many other things:
-dogs don't know their own strength, and can totally accidentally hurt things
-sometimes they just try to play and play too rough
-lack of communication between different species can lead to violence
I'm so sorry about the loss of your chickie :( Hopefully MIL will take the dog away soon. It's good that broody came out relatively okay.
I can attest to dogs just wanting to play and not knowing their strength. Our dog Duchess is VERY good with the hens. She actually avoids them entirely. However when it comes to roosters it is play time. My roo does not seem to think its a game though. I step in if she goes too far but she mostly hops around him with her butt in the air. I saw her pull tail feathers ONCE and the behavior was dealt with. But that is my roo. Not anyone elses. I dont even trust my dog around other dogs let alone someone elses livestock. I love my dog but I know her. I know who she is and what she is capable of because I trained her. I dont trust that other people have that same relationship with their dogs and I dont trust that she wouldnt attack birds that she didnt know

*** has lots of chickens. Swore up and down her dog was OK with chickens.
After an hour of telling her he wasn’t ok, and her saying she’s keeping extra special eye on him, I went to empty my bladder......

I’m down one bar rock chick. Broody has a bald patch from protecting chick. Dog went forcefully into her suv with explicit warning that if a paw hits my dirt it will be shot.

Why can people not have control over their dogs?
Hope you shot it. Yay ***. They're special.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this same problem to the point I've asked her not to bring her dog over. She does it anyway and insists that shes fine not being on a leash. Most of my chicks stay in the fence but my new barred rocks like to escape. I warned her that if her dog attacks my livestock I'll have to shoot it. She still brings the dog over. You cant teach an old dog new tricks if they walk on two legs. The only thing some people understand is consequences. This being said they were just in a park a couple of months ago with their dog on a leash and another owners dog was leashless and attacked their dog. My FIL shot that dog right in front of the owner. You would think they would understand better than anybody after that. But nope. People are the worst kind of animal

That is incredibly ironic!
Have you tried talking to him instead of his wife?

I don't even trust my own dog around my birds alone, let alone someone's dog who I don't know will behave around them. When I'm right there with her, then sure, she can visit them, but I can grab her if I think she is too close.

Though she did put up with a brood hen that went after her, so that was a plus to see.

Back
Top Bottom