1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mother Nature-natural incubating experiment (eggs needed)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyHugger, Dec 28, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Every year i have about 4 ducks that all go broody. Well, back in October i decided to monitor the humidity of one of my Girls. She had been having some terrible luck trying to hatch eggs so i decided to check if she was actually doing it right. She seems to keep it way to dry. (I tried spraying it myself but after day 3 she got mad and decided to leave the nest for 2 days [​IMG] )
    So i was thinking......why don't i slip some chicken eggs down there? I'd like to buy some fertile eggs this spring if i have the money. I don't really care what breed, it just sounds like fun. She is a determined mother and i will notify you guys as soon as she starts setting. I want about 6-12 eggs. If anyone is interested in selling me some eggs for this experiment, I'd like to know breed of the parents, price, and number you could send.
    If anyone has some mutts they'd like to try, this could be a good opportunity! [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Mariah

2. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    *bump* All eggs welcome....

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I might be able to send you some white leghorns if you want?When are you wanting them?

4. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I'm not sure on the date. As soon as she starts setting. I'll let you know. She normally goes in either march or April.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    maybe you can modify her nest, and build a platform over an oil pan or something you could discreetly fill with water, and have a fine wire mesh, or with burlap over it to keep the bedding out, and then pile on the nesting material and make it seem really safe and dark for her. And keep an eye on the humidity in the nest, and when it drops, fill the water pan under the nest from the outside where she can't see you doing it.

6. G The Egg man

G The Egg man Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Henry Co, Kentucky
    I have Golden Comets eggs if you are interested. Very high ratio of roosters to hen, they are very fertile. Can send aroud 20 from one day's laying.

7. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Although that would be interesting, she hates being inside. My ducks all free range and hate it when i herd them inside at night. Besides i have several other mothers and would like some chickys this year.

How much would you guys like for the leghorn and comet eggs?

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I probably wouldn't charge much. I've never shipped eggs before. I'll have to look at the shipping fee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by