1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mother of four

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doolaroo, Aug 6, 2014.

1. doolaroo

doolaroo New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Good morning from the Finger Lakes! I am new to this site and am looking forward to learning as much as I can here! I have four lovely chickdren~ 1 Plymouth Rock Barred, 1 Red Star, 1 Australorp and 1 White Silkie. It was the very best Mother's Day present ever!

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG] I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

So glad you've joined us - what a lovely Mothers Day gift indeed!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a cute flock!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, I would say that chickens ARE the best mothers day present ever!

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

7. doolaroo

doolaroo New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you to EVERYONE~my goodness so many hello's to be thankful for!~
    Please know my computer use (I do not like it much) is one of a blundering novice! But I am compelled to come join all you wonderful folks here, for some "parenting". Just this morning~5:30 a.m., my little White Silkie (Bernadette~all three of my girls are named after the girls in The Big Bang Theory) started a very mild~ish crowing! What do you think I should do...I already have a "Sheldon!"
    My Silkie is 17 weeks old, and my Roo is an Australorp, also 17 weeks old. Is it fair to any of my new flock to have a ratio of (possibly) 2 Hens & 2 Roosters? They all seem to get along sooo well~can this be a comfortable situation for them down the road?

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They may be ok for now. But eventually the roos may fight. The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 10 hens. If you don't have enough hens, roosters can over mate hens, causing damage to feathers and hurting the hens. If they have enough hens to mate, one hen is not receiving too much attention.

So watch them closely and be prepared for new arrangements. :)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows warning about the roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as more roosters than the 10 to 1 ratio will likely begin fighting at some point and can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them). I would recommend either getting rid of one of those two roosters, or else add a whole lot more hens to your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well you can call Bernadette, Bernie now. Silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay an egg. Maybe you could keep him as a house pet - lots of people do.

You might want to check out the thread "People with house chickens. My friend has 2 seramas and 2 silkies in her house. She has kept house chickens for over 20 years including larger breeds like Cochins and Orpingtons.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by