mother to be

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bartryon, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bartryon

bartryon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    Ok my hen has been laying on her eggs all week I would like to have some chicks but it’s Feb. and its cold what do I need to do with my hen do I mover her or let her stay on them

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I was in your situation last year...I took her nest and laid it in a foot bucket, one that you get at a dollar store for dishes. I then put her in a huge dog crate in the garage. She laid on them there. Bring in the hen!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    First question, where is she now?...If you can move her into a cage in the henhouse she should be able to stay warm and take care of a clutch..I move mine in the evenings along with their eggs..I keep mine in a large wire dog cage when they have gone broody...last time was 1st of March and cold as all get out, zero temps!!...she did well...just made sure she had clean dry bedding ...shavings or straw ...food and water close...

It's still Jan. here!!.....lol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. bartryon

bartryon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2008
    She is in the hen house with a heated lamp near her nest but one problem I’m having is that all the other hen step on her because they want that nest to lay in.
    I have a rabbit wire cage that she can fit in with her food and water

ps: ok is Jan!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by