Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
I have a young under a year old chocolate runner duck who has gone broody on me. it’s a bad time to let her try and hatch her eggs I know but by the time I found the nest it was too late. I have candled the eggs and they are developing. Should I do anything to help the duck or her eggs besides moving her and her nest. She has the eggs is a high walled feather lined nest and seems to be a very devoted mom. Also the father is a lavender runner moms a chocolate what color would any hatched ducklings be?

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
As Wifezilla's question suggests... it can be difficult to successfully move a mother and nest and have her continue to sit. If she is somewhere that is not safe it may be better to see if you can put a shelter around her where she is, and then move here somewhere better once the babies have actually hatched.

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
The nest is in a safe secluded spot in the coop, where I couldn't even see it I was just worried I live in northern MI and it gets cold here quick, plus she is a young duck and a runner I've heard runners don't make good mothers So I just wondered if I should try and bring her inside or confine her or something so the ducklings stay warm when they hatch, I don't want her running off when they start to come out of the shells and them freezing to death.

Top Bottom