Motherhood and chick war

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ellieroo, May 9, 2011.

1. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    For the last two weeks I've had two banty hens who sat on hatched and for these past 2 weeks raised 8 babies together. Last night they went to war [​IMG] ???? They were out scratchng in the pasture when things blew up and one went psyco!! Now it is all out warfare on one hens part and the babies are caught and being trampled in the middle of it all. I have removed the very aggressive hen??? Guess the real question is how long does she need to be pulled Before she gives up ??? [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I assume you removed her chicks with her?

I am experiencing basically the same thing, but with a twist. I have two broodies raising week old, store bought chicks. They are not the problem. The problem is another hen that is still sometimes mothering her 5 week old chicks. She has decided that she would much rather have younger chicks again and will randomly try to steal some of the others chicks.

For however long you decide to keep the warring hen seperated, I would most definitely keep her little family together.

3. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I left the chicks with the hen who had sat the entire time like a wee rock.The 2nd hen joined the sitting late so she lost out.But I have no idea how long it will take for her to loose motherhood desire??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by