1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Motherless Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeJeune1, Jan 30, 2013.

1. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I purchased 12 Delaware chicks last friday. The breeder said they were 4 days old. I have a phoenix hen that has been wanting to hatch, but I havn't let her yet. I put her on cement eggs and planned to give the chicks to her. She would have NOTHING to do with them. I will try again as I have a small order of day old chicks coming next week. But I had another trick up my sleeve. . .

I had 2 Dutch hens with chicks 8+ weeks old. I decided to see if they would adopt the Dellies. They were both willing. I was so proud! But to my dissapointment- - the chicks didn't respond to their motherly clucks. The hens are still with them and still try , they cluck for bugs and food, and are protective, but they don't sleep with them. . . I guess they were too old to bond with a mother figure?
    Scott

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would but them under her every night. They will figure it out. The only problem you lght have is that the older chicks are 8 weeks just about the time a hen will stop caring for them. She may abandon them. I've done that but the older chicks were only a week old. Good luck.

3. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    try them under her at night. it can NOT BE LIGHT AT ALL. Lol, i once had some chicks ot put under 'momma' and thought, well its almost dark, why not? as soon as she saw them she attacked them. i quickly got them out and decided to try again when there was 0 light. i did, and she accepted them, that was the 7th of January, and they are still fine together. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by