Motherly traits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrianT, Jun 27, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I picked up a 3-4 month old black cochin and a couple of 3 week old barred rocks yesterday. Today I completed a small tractor and placed them in it. I just went out to check and see how everybody was getting along. It appears that the black cochin is mothering them. They stand underneath her when she is standing and lay under her wings while napping. So glad they seem to like each other.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Cute! [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have four different groups of chickens of different ages: Bigs, Middles, Littles, and Youngsters. My Littles are 12 weeks old and just happen to be bantam breeds, one of which is a black Cochin. The other 3 are cockerels - *sigh* - and all 3 tuck up under Lola every night, even though they're all the same age. The Buff Brahma is taller than Lola, so it's hysterical to see. The 2 Silver Sebrights insist on having their proxy mother in sight all the time.

4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Updated, about an hour ago the little ones were trying to jump on her back and hitch rides.[​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Awesome! I once had a Japanese Silkie hen who was super motherly. She took on any thing I put under her. She was a Treasure for sure.

6. TheRanch

TheRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Sunny North Florida
    Brian,

One thing I noticed about the cochins - if there are missing chicks - check the cochins - I had a few babies games (free ranging with mom) and I looked everywhere for them - They were not with mom hmmm.......

I looked in the pen with the big cochin roo - I noticed his cushion moving - I walked over there - he had babies in his cushion, babies in his tail feathers, one under his wing and 2 between his legs lol!!! He was being a jungle gym for them!!!!

I have noticed this behavior in more than one of the roos too!!! Cochins are JUST THE BOMB!!! I'm glad your new girl is working out and hope your kids love her as much as the barred rocks do!! lol!!

Just as a side note - isn't that girl a mottled not a black? I am pretty sure it has white in it's feathers already doesn't it??? Kinda important since the LF mottled are kinda rare!! Just FYI!!

Jacki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by