Mother's Apple Cider Vinigar and Yogurt

Stephen1152

Chirping
May 17, 2017
Long Island, New York
My Easter Egger had diarrhea all summer. I figured I would finally take some advice before bringing her stool in for testing. So for the past month I have them on ACV 2 tbl spoons per gallon all the time and once a week I give them probiotic yogurt. This morning after well over a month I noticed that she had some dirty feathers. So it seems to be helping her. My question is can I keep giving them ACV and the yogurt once a week or is this overdoing it? As it is now winter, I can't bath her if she gets diarrhea again as easily. Thank you.

What were the results of the stool testing?

If it were me, I'd cut back on the ACV but either continue the plain whole fat yogurt or get a probiotic designed specifically for chickens like Gro2Max.

What were the results of the stool testing?

If it were me, I'd cut back on the ACV but either continue the plain whole fat yogurt or get a probiotic designed specifically for chickens like Gro2Max.
I didn't bring the stool sample yet. I was hoping not to. I will do as you recommend and limit the ACV even though I am not sure how that could hurt anything. But I will continue the yogurt. I just don't want to deal with cleaning her butt now that the temperature is freezing. I guess I would need to bring her indoors and blow dry her afterwards. Thanks again.

ACV is not a cure all.
It will not cure worms if that is what is causing the poopy butt.
Best thing to do it have the poop checked.

I didn't bring the stool sample yet. I was hoping not to. I will do as you recommend and limit the ACV even though I am not sure how that could hurt anything. But I will continue the yogurt. I just don't want to deal with cleaning her butt now that the temperature is freezing. I guess I would need to bring her indoors and blow dry her afterwards. Thanks again.
Hopefully the stool sample will tell you what you need to know.
It is much better to be on the correct course of action than guessing.
Depends on how much ACV you're using. Over acidification may not be a good thing. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
I thought I had some birds with roundworms because of several in a flock having really nasty butts. Rather than treating, I took a fecal sample to the vet. They had no worms but a bad case of clostridial bacteria which he gave me meds for and it cleared up. Had I treated for worms, I would have treated unnecessarily and not solved a thing.

Hopefully the stool sample will tell you what you need to know.
It is much better to be on the correct course of action than guessing.
Depends on how much ACV you're using. Over acidification may not be a good thing. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
I thought I had some birds with roundworms because of several in a flock having really nasty butts. Rather than treating, I took a fecal sample to the vet. They had no worms but a bad case of clostridial bacteria which he gave me meds for and it cleared up. Had I treated for worms, I would have treated unnecessarily and not solved a thing.
Very good advice, my chickens had diarrhea so took a sample to the vet, they had Cocci and I was given medication which cleared it up within a week

Back
Top Bottom