Mother's coming home

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Intheswamp, May 12, 2009.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    When you don't know what to do and you have somewhere to talk, well, I guess it's just good to get some things out and it is always good to ask for a brother or sister's prayer.

My Mother is coming home from the hospital today. Mother is a fine southern lady. She is eighty and up until a few weeks ago was still working on her computer. She stopped doing her genealogy research sometime back, but through the years traced us back to a fellow falling off one of the sister ships to the Mayflower and a Cromartie fellow in Ireland, I believe. Her and my daddy loved digging skeletons out of the closets...always excited no matter what they discovered. She has read thousands of books through her life and through that life with Daddy raised four somewhat decent kids (decent by some standards [​IMG] ). Daddy died in '99 and she's been heartbroken ever since.

Three years ago she was diagnosed with kidney failure and for the last two years has been on hemodialysis. Several weeks back Mother started having problems with increasing confusion. This confusion along with a much weaker body prompted us to call an ambulance for her Saturday evening. By Sunday morning her speech was down to at the very maximum 5-6 words, mostly just 2-3 words. Her phsyical condition deteriorated down to nervous scratching and tugging on her bed sheets. Times of calmness were rare Sunday.

Mother's condition has deteriorated steadingly since then, the times of sleeping and calmness have increased, but verbal communication is basically non-exisitent. Monday, Mother's kidney doctor asked us if we wished to continue dialysis...that there is no chance of improvement for Mother. Nothing has been pinpointed as to the cause of this quick deterioration of Mother's condition.

Batteries of tests have been run. After a CT scan was done and some difference of opinion between two doctors was given an MRI was done to determine what was going on with Mother's brain. The doctor stated that there was not a new stroke, just an old one that we were aware of. What the doctor did say was that the MRI showed that the vessel network of the brain was not normal and was chaotic. I feel that it is simply the tissue structure beginning to break down. We don't really know. The doctor basically said "it just happens"...eighty, kidney failure, congestive heart failure, non-insulin dependent diabetes, just a number of things all adding up to where we are at now.

Yesterday Mother had what is known as a "wet" dialysis...more for comfort to remove excess fluids that for therapeutic reasons. I'm waiting down here this morning (~60 miles away) for a phonecall from my sister to let me know when the ambulance heads this way. Bottom line is that yesterday was Mother's last dialysis, we're handing Mother's care over to God the Father of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Our goal now is to make her as peaceful and comfortable as we can at her home of 60 years, with her family around, and with her four faithful dogs.

Please pray for her comfort and peace, her name is Wynnette, and pray for us, her children, that we act according to God's will.

Thank you and may God bless you and yours,
    Ed

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Ed, my thoughts and prayers will be with your Mother, you, and all the loved ones today and for the days to come.

Keep us updated when you can.

Claudia

3. charmed one

charmed one Show Me State Gal

Dear Ed
    I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I truly understand your pain as my mother has just in the last couple of weeks been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer with only a couple of months to live. Keep up your faith in the Lord and know what she has waiting for her. Family she hasn't seen in awhile and a blessed and almighty God to welcome her home. I know this is really tough. I am praying for you and your family. Just don't forget to take care of yourself through all this. I have found a website http://www.healthboards.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=143
    This may help you cope with what is about to happen and give you others who understand what you are going through. Again, know that lots of prayers are coming your way and you are not alone. God bless..Kelly

4. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I am so sorry about your mother. I am sending prayers for you and your family. May He give you the strength to get through this difficult time.[​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My thoughts are with you and your family. [​IMG]

6. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts and prayers. Mother made it home and seems to be resting mostly comfortably. Today after lunch she was more alert than she has been in the last six days. I showed her some pictures of Daddy and some of his old buddies...she was interested. My 2-year old granddaughter seems to really get her animated. [​IMG]

It's really confusing right now, second thoughts enter in to the picture, seeing her smile with some basic communication happening.... Lot's of highs and lows right now...

Thanks for your prayers, they're worth more than all the gold in the world.

God bless you all,
    Ed

7. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Mother went to be with the Lord Jesus Christ yesterday afternoon. She slipped away from her pain and suffering as softly and gently and peacefully as a person could. I had been called to the house to hook up her oxygen but when I got there my daughter had already started it. I told Mother who I was and told her that I loved her, my sister and daughter did the same. Less than three minutes later Mother gently took her last breath. It's almost like she waited for me to get there.

She was the daughter of a schoolteacher who taught in a one-room schoolhouse, the wife of a man who made his first crop when he was eight years old. She was a Sunday School teacher, a Cub Scout leader, a Girl Scout leader, a bookkeeper, a genealogy guru, member of the Daughters of the Confederacy, member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, member of the Mayflower Society. She was a direct descendant of Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower. But, most importantly she was the daughter of a man and woman that loved her dearly, the wife of a man that doted on her, and the mother, grandmother, and great grandmother of children that loved her greatly. She will be missed.

Thank you all for your prayers for Mother and for us, we still covet your prayers for ourselves but Mother doesn't need them anymore for she has had a perfect healing...no more sufferning, no more pain, no more confusion, no more being bed ridden...

Thank you Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...for everything,
    Ed

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] (don't now what to say)

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through these difficult times. I'm sure your mom was so proud of her family and sounds like you all felt the same about her. What a wonderful legacy she has left for the world!

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Your sounds like an amazing woman ... I feel that Heaven is just a lil bit brighter with her there... God Bless you and your family

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by